Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just turn the volume down :). I think I know what he means: at 8 ft away on the floor the room modes come into play and you get bass enhancement. I will put it on a desk and listen 2 ft away and see what it sounds like.

It sounds great on a desk (mine faces a wall) 2 ft away. Very good clarity and the angle that the driver aims upwards is perfect to hit your ear height. One thing I did not expect was the amount of bass that couples to the table surface and vibrates it. You can feel the bass on the desk surface. Not used to that much bass with my cheap PC speakers. I also tested this with my tiny TPA3110D2 amp from Sure ( at PE for $10 ) it is 8 watts and at 30% volume on my iPhone it is more than loud enough. I would guess it is 2 watts - which makes sense 88 dB at 1 m and this is less than 1 m so it is 89 dB which is about as loud as I listen to for casual music listening. You are in for a real treat. They sound wonderful !

re:BOFU -its quite a bit weaker on top than extended wideband so a helper or lower crossover K-tube tweeter could be of benefit. A one inch diameter K-tube could be made of pvc or even rolled paper. Below shows a clone of a 1960's X15 K-tube on top of a K10 size coupler loaded with BOFU and also in an 18 inch coupler. My rough K5 used a cheap MCM 5" "monitor" speaker.

I want to thank XRK971 for appreciably furthering interest in the Karlson concept. Although the "objectivist" may wince, it can be a great way to get music into a room (or open space)

Pioneer BOFU vs Nirvana stamped frame Super8 - both on-axis and in a Druid size MLTL
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

BOFU in a K10 size coupler
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

41.5" tall coupler for 18" and 15"

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am glad to further the cause on something that sounds this good - people just have to try and be amazed. The small scale foam core makes it easy and inexpensive to try out. I can only imagine what a full scale box with a nice driver sounds like. Thanks to you Freddi for keeping us aware of the K and its variants all these years.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Two amazing values in the world of DIY for $10 ea

It's interesting how the price of the Vifa driver now matches the price of the Sure-built TPA3110D2 amplifier. This amplifier sounds superb - don't let the low price fool you because it has some of the cleanest highs and a nice bottom end with excellent imaging. Match these together and for $30 and your pick of a cabinet - you now have a sound system that will blow away any expectations of what a budget system hould sound like. Although I say desktop system just because of the credit card size of the amp (it will easily fit inside the 0.4x Karlsonator or any enclosure) - it is still powerful enough to full an average size room with great sound.

The Vifa TC9FD and the TPA3110D2 - a great pair. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,104
That's an interesting idea X. Powered 12" high Karlsonators. Sounds like a great protable system ah?

Am I seeing right. It looks like the woofers is totally blocked off from the rear wave by that horizontal brace on the back side of the wings just above the woof.

Would that be needed if I built the cabs out of .5" MDF???

I am thinking about burally maple veneed for mine.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
0.47x scale Karlsonator with Alpair 10.2

I had a request to see how well an Alpair 10.2 would work in a Karlsonator. Based on the size and optimizing for a smooth response, a 7/15x or 0.47x scale works well. Looks like it could be a great sounding speaker - just watch the cone excursion below 60 Hz.

SPL vs Freq, Impedance, Cone Displacement, Impulse response below.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Freq-1m.png
    21 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Impedance.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 574
  • Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Displ.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 503
  • Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Impulse.png
    Karlsonator-7o15x-Alpair10p2-Impulse.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 495
Am I seeing right. It looks like the woofers is totally blocked off from the rear wave by that horizontal brace on the back side of the wings just above the woof.

Would that be needed if I built the cabs out of .5" MDF???

I suggest you still use bracing behind the wings, perhaps a 0.5" hardwood dowel, between the vertical division and the seemingly floppiest point of each wing.

On your first graph, what is happening at 300hz? I've seen that same raise/dip on all the graph for the Karlsonator.

does the Karlsonator want high medium low Qts?

All Karlsons are band-pass devices. What we see here is the typical dip at the upper limit of the gain bandwidth. The K-slot allows for output above this, but there is some cancellation going on over a couple of octaves above this gain bandwidth, which can span 2-3 octaves itself.

Regular Karlsons really want low Qts, 0.25-0.35 usually simulates good. The taller versions discussed here with longer folded paths can likely do with 0.35-0.45. The scaled-down versions with small drivers might get away with even higher.

IG

I had a request to see how well an Alpair 10.2 would work in a Karlsonator. Based on the size and optimizing for a smooth response, a 7/15x or 0.47x scale works well. Looks like it could be a great sounding speaker - just watch the cone excursion below 60 Hz.

SPL vs Freq, Impedance, Cone Displacement, Impulse response below.

hi X
thanks a lot for the sims. 0.47x is way smaller than the MLTL that i have currently. wonder if its bass response will match with that of MLTL!?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hi X
thanks a lot for the sims. 0.47x is way smaller than the MLTL that i have currently. wonder if its bass response will match with that of MLTL!?

It depends on the MLTL design - but my guess is that a MLTL properly designed will let the A10.2 reach a good 45 Hz or so - so it will be deeper. The Karsonator if at full scale of 30 in tall also reaches 40 Hz. When scaled to 0.47x - the path is essentially cut in half - this is needed to match the Qts/Vas of the A10.2. If you ran qnty 2 A10.2's per speaker you could run a full size Karlsonator and get the deep bass. The Karlsonator has other advantages that make it sound, in my opinion, better than a direct radiator MLTL tuned to the same bass extension. This results from the improved dispersion/directivity, and the dynamics (impulse response).

Which MLTL design are you using?

It depends on the MLTL design - but my guess is that a MLTL properly designed will let the A10.2 reach a good 45 Hz or so - so it will be deeper. The Karsonator if at full scale of 30 in tall also reaches 40 Hz. When scaled to 0.47x - the path is essentially cut in half - this is needed to match the Qts/Vas of the A10.2. If you ran qnty 2 A10.2's per speaker you could run a full size Karlsonator and get the deep bass. The Karlsonator has other advantages that make it sound, in my opinion, better than a direct radiator MLTL tuned to the same bass extension. This results from the improved dispersion/directivity, and the dynamics (impulse response).

Which MLTL design are you using?
this one.
M10-A10
yes, it goes pretty deep in these boxes. never felt the need for subwoofers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks IG. I like the idea of a dowel. I have a couple feet of .5" walnut on the shelf that will work perfectly. SO? is that cancellation easily decernable? That is about a 15db dip.

In my opinion, the dip is not an issue in listening to music. It also is not as deep when measured compared to the sims.

Here is a sim of the TC9FD with the mic (your ear) at 24 in away - near field use, and the desk 60 in away from a wall. With room reflection effects turned on, the dip is not as bad - quite narrow so it is not very discernible.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-Freq-24in-reflections.png
    Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-Freq-24in-reflections.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 37,494
Thanks X. My desk is right up against the wall so that should help with bass as well. With 4 subs at my disposal, bass really isn't an issue anyway. That dip looks tolerable. This would be a much easier build of xmas wasn't just around the corner. Getting to busy closing out the year.