Material for amp case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nuuk said:

So are you saying that it doesn't matter which type of case we use, which type of equipment platform etc etc?

Yes, that's absolutely what I'm saying. You could mount some of the opamps in a circuit on a vibrating transducer, and in a controlled test you'd never hear the difference between that and a completely isolated one.

Chasing microphonics in solid state circuitry is an utter waste of time. You can show that capacitors have a theoretical microphonic effect, but again you could never establish that the effect is audible... because it isn't.

I agree.

Although, I think capacitors may have some degree of audiable interface with the mechanical world.

If you charge up a high voltage, high storage capacitor, the peizo electric effect makes it whistle as the charge builds up.

I would think that this effect only occurs with film type capacitors, not solid based caps.

If this effect works one way, I'm quite confident that it also works in the opposite direction - creating currents as the vibrations distort the rolled up sheets.

But like your suggesting, things need keeping in context.

I'm only saying this thinking that it may be interest to someone, not that you should mount your Hi-Fi in 12ft of styrofoam. :D :p

One time I have built a bank of DC supply caps total 90000uf after a regulater. I actually heard a buzzing noise and investigated, and saw one of the caps vibrating violently yet no spark produced, could not hear anything obvious from the speaker. A bad solder joint with one of its leads. I guess the current was quite high 2A iq bias I think it was and kept pulling or pushing it from the solid copper rail.
Chris

Vikash said:

A hifi is not a musical instrument, nor should it mess around with the sound IMO. Off course they all do, and such is the toll of recording, storing, and reproducing, but it's such colouring that we, well I at least, are trying to reduce.

Good job! You see, what the artists need is a wider range of colours to play with! The current standard of audio is not enough man!(especially thanks to Sony and their Megabass)

Err hmm. But we don't take those art forms then manipulate them or add colour to them after the photographer has created his/her piece.
[/QUOTE]

Yes we do, It's called 4 colour litho printing. All books are printed like that and it has about half the range of colours of photographic film, and about a tenth of what the eye can pick up. It also has no detail in the pale and dark tones. When you print a photo, the reprographics guy bumps up the colour (saturation), losing objective detail, but heightening the perception of detail. This makes for a better looking photo in a book, but it will be nothing compared to an original print. I used to work in graphics y'know!

Continuing your analogy then, a photographer creating and image for others to enjoy (be it accurate, highlighted, or whatever at the skill and desire of the photographer) is analogous to the musician(s) and others involved in creating their art piece and recording it on some medium. The hifi merely allows us to view this picture, and ideally I would like no colour added please!
[/QUOTE]

Then go to a gallery, and see the original print. This is called a recording studio, which most agree is where records sound really good. Off 2" master tape. Oohyeah baby. Most do not have this privelage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.