Material for amp case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I don't have the tools to do good metal work yet, but I have a picture in mind for an open/exposed design using transparent plastic for the top and bottom in a kind of curvy x shape. Similar to that record player, you know the one...

I'm not experienced enough to know if I'm making a bad compromise going away from metal though. Naturally there will be big chunks of metal for the heatsink ;)

Same here metal casing is very expensive for me and not enough experience with metal so I choose to be cheap and use MDF, plexiglass is not cheap and wrap over time.
paint any texture you like
;)

GC number two in the making...

Chris

Attachments

• p5290028_a.jpg
    p5290028_a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,253
My first GC's were built in plastic tubes (100 mm soil pipe) although I lined the inside with kitchen foil for shielding.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wheher you need shielding or not depends on what interference you are susceptible to. I have had one of my amps running here for about four months on a plank of wood with no shielding and with no problem. ;)

Vikash said:
Can I build a chip amp case using plastic, or must it be metal for shielding?

Plastic is OK, as well as wood. As long as there's little RF close to the amp.

Besides the obvious radio emissions from your city broadcasts and how close you are to any transmitting antennas, there's emission from several things. Like computers, fluorescent tubes, monitors, dimmers, motors, etc.

Proper grounding should diminish most of them, as well if you use balanced connections.

So after you build your power amp you should test it by getting your volume up, with no signal, and listening with your ear close to the tweeter. AM radio is easy to identify, but other sources are not.

If you have a scope you could do the same, up to 1MHz, with more accuracy.

If everything is clean go ahead. There was a high-end amplifier made in Switzerland that used an acrylic box. But the supply was in a separate box, if I am not wrong.

Carlos

heres an idea, i was in a physics lecture recently and we were disgussing magnetic and radioactive shielding and i started daydreaming.....
surely the best idea is to make the entire case out of thick lead as this will act as isolation from small vibrations as well as EMPs and alpha,gamma and betta rays! the best possible material,if a little heavy.

Honsten: You could call such an amp the Roach since it and it's biological cousins would be the only things to survive a detonation. In fact, with enough lead, it would poison you long before old age made your hearing bad. (heh!)

Vikash: I noticed that you used tangents on the sides but not on the front... is that just to over emphasize the pillars when viewed on the rack?

:)ensen.

surely the best idea is to make the entire case out of thick lead as this will act as isolation from small vibrations as well as EMPs and alpha,gamma and betta rays! the best possible material,if a little heavy.

Would you make a guitar or violin out of lead? Think of a piece of hi-fi like a musical instrument and you won't go far wrong.

I once used large amounts of lead to dampen an amp case and every bit of 'life' went from the music. It was awful. :att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.