Martello enclosure for FR88EX

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This will be interesting to see, there was a company a couple of years ago that did a set of cardboard speakers for computer enthusiasts that folded up so they could be carried. Though i believe they were based on a planar design.

It was an NXT based design.

My 1st cardboard speaker boxes were for a set of Joran-Watts over 30 years ago.

My last set of cardboard speakers, convinced me thou that Chris would have spent less time slapping together a plywood set (a set of Metronomes for a set of unobtainium TB 3").

dave

1/2'' cardboard

Two pieces of cardboard glued together is about 1/2''
per the original design.

Cutting carboard is indeed time consuming. And now I've
promised to build my little cousin a cardboard car. :p

Sorry for the blurry picture.

Attachments

• Carboard thickness.jpg
    Carboard thickness.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 2,021
Pictures

Ok, first off, making these has been a lot of fun but very time consuming. Once everything is assembled, the cardboard feels pretty darn rigid.

A friend and I did the first listening test yesterday evening - no lining yet on the inside and without the divider thingy that goes behind the driver. In my large living room, placed far away from the boundries they sounded pretty amazing on all types of music. My friend isn't one to spare my feelings and even he really enjoyed them. Of course, they couldn't play to loud but for what they are, there were no glaring issues.

Next we moved them to a small room and there they sounded pretty horrible. As a complete non-expert, the best I can say is that they hurt our ears and sounded veiled maybe.

Back to the living room and they sounded great again. Wish I had a sub to try them out with.

Making these I figured these would work well in a small room, on a desk as computer speakers, etc. I was surprised at how well they worked in a big room.

Well, today I finished lining them with some foam used for preventing drafts under doors. The results aren't good. One benefit seems to be they are playing much louder, at least the upper frequencies definitely are. The problem is they hurt to listen to. They are really stabbing at my ears. Also the balance seems to be gone in the frequencies. Well, that's the best I can describe it.

So, where to from here? I'll start taking off some lining a little at a time. Problem is I'm not sure from where to start. Should I start from the top above the divider thingy or from the bottom, back, front?

Still considiring a notch or tweeter. If I can find the parts for a notch, I might try that and I might test with a tweeter on top. First I have to solve the lining problem. I was pretty disapointed when the sound went from good to bad.

Attachments

• Carboard1.jpg
    Carboard1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1,979
  • Carboardfrontbaffle.jpg
    Carboardfrontbaffle.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Insideview_no_lining.jpg
    Insideview_no_lining.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,890
  • Insideview_w_lining.jpg
    Insideview_w_lining.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,917
  • cardboard_in_livingroom.jpg
    cardboard_in_livingroom.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 976
hmmm. I can't see the enclosure causing a harsh unbearable sound unless there are copious reflections from directly behind the driver (I put felt on all surfaces) or the bass has disappeared and you only have hf left to listen to (which might happen if the enclosure is flexing like a balloon or is poorly sealed except for the port).

Drivers can take some time to break-in. The Fountek drivers didn't change as drastically as the Fostex drivers I had before (which went from truly awful to OK in about 2 hours and to very good after 100 hours) but it does take a hours of play to bed them in. I'm not sure why, but playing them exercises all the materials and moving parts.

Another thing, I use a tube amp and it appears to be a better match to FR drivers than any of my SS amps.

I took the lining out of the top chamber and the sound improved significantly. Next I removed the lining off the front baffle and it's even better. The harshness has almost disapeared. Might actually be fine at this point, but it sounds like something is slightly off. Still a tiny bit of harshness there. I'll listen again tomorrow and maybe try taking out all the foam and replacing it with felt.

Unpainted

After a lot of playing around with the lining, I've glued the 'cabinet' shut. Near field and placed close together beside my computer these sound almost perfect.
I'm really enjoying them. Using the eq on foobar I can adjust frequencies if I need to and lower bass output so they don't work too hard. Really though, they sound great. Again, wish I could listen to them with a sub and a proper receiver.

BTW, one of the channels on my t-amp died out during all this :(

Next, I have to figure out how to paint them or cover them.

Attachments

• Unpainted.jpg
    Unpainted.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 1,111
After a lot of playing around with the lining, I've glued the 'cabinet' shut. Near field and placed close together beside my computer these sound almost perfect.
I'm really enjoying them. Using the eq on foobar I can adjust frequencies if I need to and lower bass output so they don't work too hard. Really though, they sound great. Again, wish I could listen to them with a sub and a proper receiver.

BTW, one of the channels on my t-amp died out during all this :(

Next, I have to figure out how to paint them or cover them.

Decoupage anyone?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
My goodness! Cardboard enclosure, complete with driver rebate for a flush fit! :up:
:cool:
For a finish that will add a lot of strength, consider gluing on pieces of material (I used denim one time, not on a speaker though) with polyester resin (for fiberglass).
Can be an interesting look.

Nice work ! - yes, I've found these enclosures/drivers to work very well indeed, it surprised me. I was expecting to have to iterate the design but it sounds to me as if it works fine as-is.

How on earth are you keeping the drivers from falling out - they're not screwed in ?

Demin & resin ? - sounds like something I would have used to fix my mums car when I was a teenager !
A stiff shell of resin might vibrate though and it would be hard to remove it if it doesn't work out.

Using the eq on foobar I can adjust frequencies if I need to and lower bass output so they don't work too hard. Really though, they sound great.
Maybe my driver differs in T/S from your's but without any filters, the sound of my comparable loudspeaker was horrible. I just ordered some parts for leveling the mid/highs and will post results if you are interested.
The low frequencies are not great as well. My BR is not working properly Or there's something else going on.

Yes, I would be interested in your results. I'm having trouble locating the parts for a filter where I live and shipping from the U.S. or Europe will be 3x the price of the parts so I'm holding off for now.

Still, I'm pretty happy with them right now as computer speakers. I had to play around a lot with the amount of lining and it's placement in the box, though. Also, of course, my experience is purely subjective. I may just have proud papa syndrome.

I look forward to hearing your results with the filter.

http://www.zelfbouwaudio.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=33833&mode=view
Well here it is. I described the sound earlier as unpleasant but with the filter installed it's better. The low frequencies are still way worse than any simple 2way loudspeaker.

With a lot of EQ and a embarrassing amount of bass boost around 50-80 Hz they are ok to listen to in "standalone" setup. I have no quality subwoofer available so I cannot put them in a 2.1 setup.

I can imagine these drivers being used in slim soundprojectors or portable music stations (Sonos S5, Bose Sounddock)

Last edited:
do you have photos of your speaker and it's design ?

It's a darn shame you haven't found these drivers very good in your application, it maybe amplfier dependent, but with my tube amp I have found the bass outstanding given the size of these drivers. I find the sound balanced and neutral, perhaps more neutral than my FE127 Onken's.