• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Marriner dual PCM56 NOS DAC

Orders now are open on 'Marriner' DAC boards, ready built and tested. PM me and please don't forget to include your chosen payment method and location so I can quote you inclusive of fees and shipping.

Marriner uses the same I/V stage and filter as 'Dark LED' but is a single-board solution so it also contains the DACs. The DAC section is based on a pair of PCM56 per channel. Two DACs per channel are used to get lower noise than a single one but also to even out the production variations in output current which are inherent with these chips. The PCM56 chips are pre-selected to give a close inter-channel match in output level.

Marriner needs a 4 rail PSU (+/- 18V for analog, +/-8V for feeding DACs). Its peak output level is selectable by resistor link to 1 or 2VRMS. The input format is I2S, three wire (no MCLK required). Current consumption on all 4 rails is below 100mA.

Preferred payment method is via Wise which typically adds a 2% fee. Our receiving currency is CNY, alternatively USD or Euro. PayPal may also be used, in USD but will attract higher fees, about 16%.

Price for a Marriner built and tested unit including top-mounted 9th order filter board : 1200RMB (~USD174)

Physical dimensions: 100mm * 65mm, max height 25mm. Fixing centres : 90mm * 60mm, M3 holes.

Shipping is in addition and depends on your location and speed of service. Courier (FedEx, TNT, DHL) typically takes 8 - 10 days and e-packet four to eight weeks. Not all locations can be serviced by e-packet though.

_20230329175702.png

_20230329180439.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I want to use the marriner with a rpi4 streamer. Should I use the GPIO header on the rpi4 to get I2S?

I remember reading that rpi boards create interference. Is it ok to put the rpi in the same enclosure (on the other side ~30cm distance) or is a greater distance advisable?

Is there a preferred wiring/shielding to use for I2S? I saw that cat5 RJ45 can be used for interconnects. Or USB?

Thanks!
Henry

I think yes, there's I2S coming out of the header on RPis. I have been able to find the pinouts online in the past, just bear in mind there may be confusion between logical (GPIOXX) numbering and physical pin numbering on the 40way connector.

All CPUs are interference generators, I have had issues putting an early DAC design in the same box as an STM32F4 which runs at a much lower clock frequency than the RPi. As I have no direct experience of putting my DACs near to an RPi I can only suggest further away is going to be better, it could be that 30cm is enough but I'm out of my depth speculating on that. Screening would also be a useful option. Without an extra I2S interface board (I2S over LVDS) I'd hesitate to suggest an I2S cable longer than 30cm. Yes, twisted pairs can be used for I2S, but unnecessary for shorter distances, no experience to offer there though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was going to suggest that if you needed a greater distance between RPi and DAC that an S/PDIF connection might be the simplest choice. But LVDS would be another possibility, I don't know if there are any RPi hats that output I2S over LVDS. USB of course would be a third option, at least that's an interface already supported by RPis.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Slowly building 'the thing ' up so not tested yet Richard. Definitely suspect on those I linked to in the other thread .

Here are my assumed good ones from a reputable UK seller who is a vendor of ex military stock.
IMG20230216070501.jpg

Here is an image of what I bought on eBay from the sellers page.
Screenshot_2023-03-23-07-19-15-12.jpg

Here is what they looked like on arrival.. 😄😁.

IMG20230308171838.jpg

Still got my PCM56 from 'polida' to check

I appreciate your taking back your overtly political statement. However its a shame you've decided to leave the thread as I have a question.

As you, above all posters on DIYA, appreciate the need for matching components, I was wondering how people who want pukka PCM56 chips are going to get ones which match closely enough? With the recycled ones its not a big issue for me to buy a rail or two and match them up but at ~$18 a pop, who's going to be buying enough to be sure to get decent matching?

You are a vendor.
You can, if you so wish, buy 20 of them from Rochester and offered matched ones.
I am pretty sure there are takers.

We use tens of (new, bought from Rochester) PCM56s in our balanced digital player.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...st-tht-i2s-input-nos-r-2r.354078/post-6925148
We never have gain-mismatch problems.
We only match for maximum even harmonics cancellation.
But if you ever need to match gain, you can easily do it by adjusting Riv.

Cheers,
Patrick