Markaudio Pluvia 7 vs Markaudio Alpair 7MS. A subjective and objective comparison.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Dr1v3n, Glad they are sounding good.
What is the grand plan with the array?
Are you going to switch to all 7ms array?

Have you seen there is talk of a group buy for the new (not yet released) square basket Alpair 5.3, I don't think it will have the new cone design, but the group buy was for a square basket suitable for line-arraying. Darn sight cheaper per unit that the new ms series.

Its a 4” driver. The 7 standa for 7 cm cone.

dave

You're correct, I don't know why Madisound puts it in their 5" FR driver section and the P7 is in 4". That's probably what I was thinking of.

Is there any chance you can get this away from your walls? Outside maybe?
We have alot of songbirds outside. Just take the graphs as an approximation?

Please use 1/12 octave averaging. As they are now, graphs are almost unreadable.
Will do. I redid the 7MS measurements today and finished the P7 measurements as well. Will upload soon.

@Dr1v3n, Glad they are sounding good.
What is the grand plan with the array?
Are you going to switch to all 7ms array?

Have you seen there is talk of a group buy for the new (not yet released) square basket Alpair 5.3, I don't think it will have the new cone design, but the group buy was for a square basket suitable for line-arraying. Darn sight cheaper per unit that the new ms series.

Definitely switching to the 7MS. I have to pay off 1 credit card, close it down and open up a new one with a 12 month no interest. ;)

I like how the A5.3's sound, I have 8 of them I have to wire up for a rear channel. That's another project somewhere on DIYAudio... But, it's easy to switch to the 7MS from the P7 as the mounting pattern is identical.

Here's a replot of the 7MS FR using 1/12 octave.

Attachments

• 7MS_Lin_sweep_on_axis.jpg
    7MS_Lin_sweep_on_axis.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 755
  • 7MS_Lin_sweep_15_deg.jpg
    7MS_Lin_sweep_15_deg.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 753
  • 7MS_Lin_sweep_30_deg.jpg
    7MS_Lin_sweep_30_deg.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 735
  • 7MS_Lin_sweep_45_deg.jpg
    7MS_Lin_sweep_45_deg.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 716
  • 7MS_Lin_sweep_90_deg.jpg
    7MS_Lin_sweep_90_deg.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 729
Here are the P7 plots.

Time to put the arrays back together....

Attachments

• P7_Lin_sweep_90_deg.jpg
    P7_Lin_sweep_90_deg.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 184
  • P7_Lin_sweep_45_deg.jpg
    P7_Lin_sweep_45_deg.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 185
  • P7_Lin_sweep_30_deg.jpg
    P7_Lin_sweep_30_deg.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 186
  • P7_Lin_sweep_15_deg.jpg
    P7_Lin_sweep_15_deg.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 241
  • P7_Lin_sweep_on_axis.jpg
    P7_Lin_sweep_on_axis.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 272
BTW those tests were done with no EQ, linear sweep was from 100Hz - 20kHz... The 7MS's are back in their box. Waiting... I took this time to put the 1 actively powered/EQ'd sub in the SPDIF loop. Also, double checked every enclosure for proper wiring polarity and fiberglass stuffing. This was a little tangent of a project, measuring the 7MS's, and it was well worth the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_185156873.jpg
    IMG_20190526_185156873.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 226
Question: why are you capturing from REW's RTA instead of using the built-in measurement system?

The latter produces a swept sine tone, and spits out frequency response, phase, distortion, and a bunch of other useful (derived) stuff like waterfalls, impulse, group delay curves, etc etc.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.