Mark Levinson No23 repair help

A small correction, on the positive side there is 3mV drop in base resistors. Negative side there is 1mV drop in the base resistors. 14V drop in the 100R resistors. R20 and R44 has 8mV drop.
I wouldn’t worry too much. Important is that you were able to adjust the the bias current.
But it seems that your readings are a corrupted by oscillations because 8mV on 0.1R is 80mA while 14 V on 100R is 140mA.

So, remove the 100R resistors, set the Bias to its correct value and measure the voltage drop on the base resistors again.
Important is that your heatsinks are electrically connected to the chassis, if not, oscillation will occur.

Hans

With 270mA bias, this means on average 45mA per NPN and 54mA per PNP.
With resp 7mV and 3mV on the base resistors this would mean a Hfe of resp 64 and 180, not impossible but 180 is very high for the PNP.
The other thing that is almost too nice is that all NPN's have 7mV and all PNP's have 3mV on their base resistors.
So before jumping to conclusions, could you specify the following voltages.

1) NPN: All six individual voltage drops on the 10R base resistors plus the corresponding voltage drop on their 0.22R emitter resistors.
2) PNP: All five individual voltage drops on the 10R base resistors plus the corresponding voltage drop on their 0.22R emitter resistors.
3) The absolute voltages on both sides of R44 and R20
4) The absolute voltage on both sides of R50

Hans

1645774088020.png

Thx for measuring all these data.
I'm still puzzled by the base resistor voltages that were yesterday resp 3mV and 7mV, and are now more like 4mV and 11mV, so I do suspect that touching these resistors induces some unwanted effects. To be sure you could connect a Scope to the LS output and see what happens while measuring.
It makes sense anyway to look with a scope how the LS output signal looks like.

But the emitter voltages are roughly o.k.
Adding the current from the positive side results in 346mA instead of the 270mA in R44, but this must could have to with tolerance in the 0.22R resistors, but ... ?

Seemingly the PNP's have very much higher Hfe as the NPN's, 159 versus 61, but I'm still skeptical because this 159 is almost unprecedented.
But the question is, suppose it is true, does it matter ?
In some way this asymmetry is not ideal, but will most likely not result in any noticeable effect.

Hans

Hello Hans,
I have set the bias lower 230mA as you described. I also checked the LS output with the scope and did not see any ringing or oscillation. I do not have a signal source present but was able to use my phone and freq sweep to the input of the amp and it seems to work! I can make some images but it requires some work...

My 23.5 right channel trip when input is reached certain level. Any idea to fix it? Bias and offset voltage is normal.
I suspect the elcos in the overload circuit.
The separate PCB containing this part is located a the back of the chassis.
Those elcos with a brown plastic encapsulation are of bad quality and have the tendency to explode after some time.

Hans