Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The 4 with Silmics put out 5.2v and the 4 I built last night with solid tantalum all put out a solid 5.02v.

Interesting, huh? I didn't have to change the resistor value or swap in the red LED or anything, and they're bang on.
That has everything to do with the large capacitive load of the 100uF caps. If the impedance at the output gets too low (= large cap) the regulating loop looses track. You can read all about it here and here. Try and load them with a 470 ohm resistor. I bet they will give 5.0V as well then.

Regards,

Ray

Any reason for choosing carbon and not metal film? I've used the metal film ones previously but I've no idea how they compare. Did you go for half watt?

I use metal film at the moment and have found them to be very good but I fancied trying these. I heard them around a HA in a cutomers cdp and thought they sounded very natural. 1/4 watt.

Brent

I'm new to the forum. Apologies if this is an inappropriate jump onto the thread but at 1742 pages this seemed to be the font of all knowledge on the Marantz CD63. I have acquired a CD63 Mk 2 signature edition. In the box, with the remote, excellent condition but stone dead, no lights no nothing. I downloaded a basic service manual, took the back off and established that power is getting through as far as the low voltage side of the transformer. As far as I can work out from the manual (which I struggle to read with my eyesight!), everything is controlled by the MN***** chip so if nothing is working this is probably fried and it's not worth me going any further.

Is this correct or is there any other obvious diagnosis I could do to try and reclaim this unit?

If not, does anyone need units like this for parts?

dead ki

No, not a stupid question, as you have no idea as to my level of understanding of electronics, but yes, I checked those too.
With the lid off facia facing you towards the back nr the psu you will see a black 3 legged transistor with an aluminium heatsink ( 7805 printed on it) leg to the left is 12v in centre leg is ground and outer right will be 5v check the volts input 12v and 5v output with a digital voltmeter
no output no work??

cheers alan:)

Last edited:
re blown reg

You're the man!

Q811 on the circuit diagram - NJM7805FA - googling this tells me it is a "5V voltage regulator IC", also that it is "almost indestructible"!

Anyhow, LH voltage is 12.3V and RH voltage is 0.3V. So what does that tell us?
Hi,
replace the 7805 get them from maplins about a £1 each see what you get most things on a 63 run 5v should give you a starting point anyway
sort the display out later just get it running.
its not teminal all good fun andrew.
cheers alan:D