Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Not at all. This setup here is miles ahead of the previous one.

Yes the rip process is painstaking, it has worn out a few optical drives, but hey - now it's done and the feeling of being in control of +10.000 music pieces within a touch of the remote control - that's great.

You do learn to make a good backup strategy - and another one, and another...

Not at all. This setup here is miles ahead of the previous one.

Yes the rip process is painstaking, it has worn out a few optical drives, but hey - now it's done and the feeling of being in control of +10.000 music pieces within a touch of the remote control - that's great.

You do learn to make a good backup strategy - and another one, and another...
compressed audio:eek: not my cup of tea but hey takes allsorts,
love to extract whats available on a cd.
cheers guys alan

I'm pleased with the little regulator I built but not attempted to fit it yet (btw voltage still measures steady 5.2v with red LEDs subbed in).

If you're worried about the voltage (as mentioned by others it shouldn't be an issue in this case), I always test the forward voltage of leds first to find a combination that gives as near the 3.75v as possible, just needs a resistor in line to the led and a link to a small dc source. I find they can vary quite a lot from the specs.

Regards

Pete

Now we would apreciate some detailed pics of shepperd´s machine.

I am somehow confused because I believed this machine already had a clock installed by Brent. Now it has a Flea... Can you please explain what you did Ray ?

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, this was the C1 clock. While this is a step up from the original crystal, it's still not the best solution. The clock also has an external power supply now, which is also important.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Martin, Pete - I'm not worried about the voltage thanks to your comments, just need to figure out where best to install it... DAC? Q801/2?

I'm interested in the DIY Flea w/ X01, partly because I think I'd enjoy building it. I need to cool down on the spending for a while though after I fried my amp, so I'd like to complete some mods I have parts for. I was planning to do HDAM bypass next as I have some nice RCAs and coupling caps, and also I want to shuffle my Black Gates around to make best use of them, which would involve salvaging the ones from the HDAM to put in other places.

Do you guys think there's a risk of me making it sound worse by bypassing the HDAM when I haven't done clock or regs yet? My output stage is LM4562HA bypassed with 0.1uF polypropylene and my filter caps are 1% silver mica with values changed according to Ray's mod sheet.

Nice :)

I am not shure shepperd´s machine is prepared to receive a clock on the servo also... Can a Flea be used there too ?

The CD67's servo is integrated in the decoder-chip. This get's the clock from The Flea as well, so the servo is clocked by The Flea indirectly.

In a CD63 the servo is a separate chip, you can use The Flea to replace the original resonator. You need a 8.467MHz XO for that.

Ray

Thanks Martin, Pete - I'm not worried about the voltage thanks to your comments, just need to figure out where best to install it... DAC? Q801/2?

I'm interested in the DIY Flea w/ X01, partly because I think I'd enjoy building it. I need to cool down on the spending for a while though after I fried my amp, so I'd like to complete some mods I have parts for. I was planning to do HDAM bypass next as I have some nice RCAs and coupling caps, and also I want to shuffle my Black Gates around to make best use of them, which would involve salvaging the ones from the HDAM to put in other places.

Do you guys think there's a risk of me making it sound worse by bypassing the HDAM when I haven't done clock or regs yet? My output stage is LM4562HA bypassed with 0.1uF polypropylene and my filter caps are 1% silver mica with values changed according to Ray's mod sheet.

I'd go for the DAC, the digital stuff is most noisy. You need two regulators minimum for the DAC. I'd use one on pins 16 & 27 and one for pins 21 & 22. A third regulator to split 16 & 27 is even better. For Q801/802 you need 12V regulators by the way.

Bypassing the HDAM circuit is something you'll end up doing anyway, so why not? If it sounds really bad you can easily change it back. But I doubt you will :D. If the offset on the outputs of the opamps is low enough, you don't need any output coupling caps.

Regards,

Ray

Great, that decides it then! Thanks Ray. I'll start by hooking up just that little dual reg and then build another one when I can get to the shop.

I had DC offset when I removed my caps before, but I've made quite a few changes since then including changing the op-amps so I'll see. I have some 3.3uF Silver/Oils ready to go in if it's still bad. Am I right in thinking that I need to insert a resistor if I'm wiring straight to the RCA from the op-amp output?