Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes... the Jensen caps are much more detailed than Nichicon or BHC.

I believe the detail is due to the better filtering capabilities... (4 pole act as a combination of chokes + cap)

But they can only be used in low current aplications because the signal flows inside them.

Last edited:
Try to mind where the "final caps setup" is, if I stand that a whole ZL/ZLH (ho wait my setup!) caps around is a 90% of the best and things with mixed caps mentioned above are in the final 10% with the extra ability to move the sound behaviour?
Where were the factory's brown'n old Elna? 15%?

Matthieu
(ahh these topics just drive me crazy like bypass stories... ;) )

Hehe the old what cap is best debate.

ZAs work best with low noise regs, I don't find any dryness this way.

Silmics are a little wooly for me, like Lee said they don't offer enought detail when used as local decoupling.

FC I always say great before regs (if larger caps like the Mundorf HC/SI cannot be fitted) but they are horrible as local decoupling caps. Very dry and bright.

SEPC oscons are the best cap i've used on digital circuits, not so good on dac analogue rails or opamps.

Muse are ok and do most things well but I tend not to use them as other caps offer more in their given area.

But of course these are my general opinions :D

Brent

Agree with most of that, although I like the Muses (particularly KZ) as op-amp bypass.
They give good solid bass, and they don't let the op-amps scream at you like some.

Ultra-low ESR caps are best avoided right on the outputs of LDO regs, but also LM317 etc. (Rubycon ZA for example). See Werner Ogiers' or Martin Clark's sites for details.

Hi Glenn,
what you are saying about the Muses KZ (where to source cheap?) seems very promising with AD8620! I keep that in mind... and compared to last sources of BG they are dirt cheap!

They work well with AD825x2 in my CD63. :)

These guys have them...
Nichicon KZ type electrolytic capacitors homepage

Note that on their component page, if you click on Black Gate you get Nichicon and if you click on Nichicon you get Black Gate. :D

Ok, sounds good even if that's crazy as I'm already having a new question wich is "yes but would it be better with some BG"...
What about (like you have a DAC with many coupling caps on SMD, e.g. a CD40 with TDA1541... what? I'm taking info everywhere...) these audio grade caps? Soooo expensive, they should sounds good!
RUBYCON|25ST684MA2 3216|CONDENSATEUR 0.68UF 25V 3216 20 | Farnell France

Also Panasonic Ax series, cheap big capacity,
PANASONIC|ECA1CAM682X|CONDENSATEUR 6800UF 16V | Farnell France

Basically, it's just a matter of taste isn't it? Just like the music we play on the kit.

That site that Ian linked too is interesting. He rates the Silmic II above the BG, but he doesn't seem to mention about the detail levels, which in itself means different things to different people.

Cheers, Lee.

He rates the Silmic II above the BG

Thats the guy who wrote the report in the link not my opinion!!!!!:eek: lol

Indeed it is a matter of taste. Personally I've found ZA's to be a little clinical in my 63's which also be default is a little too clinical for me. However, they are almost perfect in my TDA1541 player which has a much warmer character by default. Again everything depends on what you are decoupling and what characteristics you are looking for. This opens another debate which is that the cap should not colour the sound at all. All you really want ot hear is what is actually on the recording!!!!!! :rolleyes:

CD-43@home!

Well seems I have to work guys!
Sounds so metallic no way for me to listen to it in this state. Marantz have pushed the downgrade to far... Maybe the even-not-Elna's super mini and cheap caps at op amps have passed away...
Color and size of TX is the same as in the CD-53, hope it's not smaller, the mech ( original CDM12 ) skips ( grease on mech's radial movement is brown... ) and the display is already dimmed wich means used a lot ( my very first CD-53's one was almost off... on 20h a day... and 2 mechs used! ) so I don't believe the mech can be saved.
No remote back switch, no remote parts on pcb ( controller side ) and HDAM it's parts already removed for me :) Marantz do you have some "ICs only" mounted PCBs?

Strange thing, it's a MkI (no CD-43 MkII I think) and it does have the caps in DAC to Decoder's clock feed.

Attachments

• DSC00183.jpg
    DSC00183.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 206
Well seems I have to work guys!
Sounds so metallic no way for me to listen to it in this state.

I happen to have an old Phonosophie CD Player (based on the CD63). It looks like the CD63 with a Phonosophie label on it.

Q: Anyone know what mods Phonosophie might have carried out on this machine. I sounds smoother and warmer than a stock CD63KI. Almost like a "63KI on tubes".

Also I open the cover and the copper CD63KI is absent so obviosuly this is a CD63 modfied and not a CD63KI. I happen to have access to an old CD63Ki chassis (lens not working) and can canabalise the CD63KI for parts as well.