Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

hotiron said:
Marantz Left a track on the PCB specifically for the purpose of bypassing The HDAM Look at R619/620 If you have upgraded your opamps get rid of HDAM presume youve done all the PS and Servo stuff already!

Not quite.

The track was included as some models were planned without the HDAM module ie CD43,CD53 rather than to bypass the module on the CD63.

Andy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

Could not help to post this pic of my DOS....:D

Some of the resistors are in contact with each other and also with the fet´s.... Is this an issue or can I rest assured that the kiwames are well isolated ?

Ricardo

Attachments

• p1010049.jpg
    p1010049.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 400
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Looking good Ricardo, nice and tidy. That should be a nice smooth performing cd player with that fitted, and should really complement your amp nicely.

Oh, and your parcel should arrive very soon, if it hasn't already.

Thank you Lee

I must wait for your shippment before I install the DOS.

The caps in the photo are borrowed from another project...:angel:

Do you believe there is no problem by leaving the resistors touching each other ?

I am wondering how can I fit the output caps... :scratch1:

My CDP is starting to look very complicated.

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Do you believe there is no problem by leaving the resistors touching each other ?

I can't see why there'd be a problem, provided it's not the metal parts that are touching, lol.

I am wondering how can I fit the output caps... :scratch1:

My CDP is starting to look very complicated.

Mine too! I've found it best to strap the caps to the rear panel.
see the large white caps the black caps tagged on with the long legs are the bypass caps I was playing around with.

To be honest, I haven't done anything to my cd63 for ages. I bought an old but awesome cd94, which I love. Soon the regs and some parts will be swapped from the cd63.

Cheers, Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Mine too! I've found it best to strap the caps to the rear panel.
see the large white caps the black caps tagged on with the long legs are the bypass caps I was playing around with.

Hi Lee

Looks like a mad scientist project...:)

I see you are using Brent´s lovely psu pcb... are these to power the DOS ?

What smoothing caps are you using ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

To be honest, I haven't done anything to my cd63 for ages. I bought an old but awesome cd94, which I love. Soon the regs and some parts will be swapped from the cd63.

Hi Lee

Did you already modd the cd94 ?

How does it compare to your super modded cd63 ?

By the way, today arrived the CMC rca´s.... wonderfull stuff.

I am very lucky because the locking ring screws from the outside so I can solder the CMC directly to the output caps and still be able to open the CDP for future mods.

Ricardo ;)

RCruz said:

Hi Lee

Did you already modd the cd94 ?

How does it compare to your super modded cd63 ?

By the way, today arrived the CMC rca´s.... wonderfull stuff.

I am very lucky because the locking ring screws from the outside so I can solder the CMC directly to the output caps and still be able to open the CDP for future mods.

Ricardo ;)

Hi Ricardo. Yes I've modded the '94. Nothing like as much as my '63 and it is a very close-run thing. I have just sorted the fault on my cd63 (FYI Brent, it was a bad gnd connection on the rca socket. Yes I know, v noobish). I wouldn't like to say which would be the better sounding player with both fully modded! But at the moment the cd63 is much better sounding (again).

The cmc sockets are uber aren't they. Oh, you should also connect the 470k resistor that normally goes on the board after the output cap, to the lead going to the rca socket and to gnd so that it can "drain" the cap. Does that make sense? lol.

Cheers, Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

The cmc sockets are uber aren't they. Oh, you should also connect the 470k resistor that normally goes on the board after the output cap, to the lead going to the rca socket and to gnd so that it can "drain" the cap. Does that make sense? lol.

Hi Lee

Maybe I will connect this resistor across the cmc pins.

As my CDP is so full of psu´s, I do not have much space left... this is needing a lot of thinking....:headbash:

Ricardo

stvnharr said:
Hello,
A couple nights ago I heard 3-4 click, tick, pop type sounds from the player at power up. I've always kept the player in standby mode, powering up only when I'm going to play music. I know there is some toroid thump at power up, as I sometimes mess up and turn on the amp first. But the thump doesn't bother me. But I'd never heard clicks before.
And when I went to play a disc, there was no sound. And I was worried. Turn off, let things settle out, take off lid, and see what I can see. I expected a blown cap, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. A quick check showed power readings all proper. So I reconnected it to the system and tried again, and all was good. Since then I've left the player on.
I know a lot of people believe in leaving digital players on 24/7/365. I've never seen the need for this. But I may now.

Steve

Hello Everyone,
Some time has now passed since my above post. I have left the power on ever since, though the power went out one morning for a couple hours, but other than that, power on 24/7.
I noticed after 3-4 days that there were some significant changes. Upon initial installation of the D.O.S. I found the player to be rather sensitive to any type of movement and would mute the sound. This movement could be either walking on the floor, touching the rack that the player sits on, or changing the volume. A simple touch of the "fast forward" would bring the sound back, so always sat still for listening and with the remote at a finger's touch. I made sure of the volume before inserting the disc.
However, after 3-4 days of power on, all of the above went away and the player returned to normal operation, as before D.O.S. installation. I don't really know what happened, but it was for the better.
Also for the better, SOUND. I'm just assuming here, but this could be directly related to "burn in" of the BG and Platinum output cap combo. While the sound at the get go was best I'd ever heard, it has simply gotten better, smoother, nicer, whatever nice word you like here.
Now, I seem to spend a lot more time listening to music, and a lot less time on the internet, and whatever else I do in the evenings and on weekends. I'm finding it hard to break away and get parts ordered, etc, for another D.O.S. for my other player in my other system, as well as a couple other projects I was wanting to do.
D.O.S. - everyone with an eligible player should have one!!!!!!!!! This is simply the most profound improvement in audio quality I have experienced in 15 years of being serious in this hobby. AT LAST, most all, if not all, of the music on the disc gets played and enjoyed. Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Steve

stvnharr said:
This is simply the most profound improvement in audio quality I have experienced in 15 years of being serious in this hobby. AT LAST, most all, if not all, of the music on the disc gets played and enjoyed. Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Steve

I'm glad you like it, Steve! Looks like a milestone in audio-reproduction, that makes you re-discover all your cd's. It still serves me almost every day in my SA8400 :)

Ray

6h5c said:

I'm glad you like it, Steve! Looks like a milestone in audio-reproduction, that makes you re-discover all your cd's. It still serves me almost every day in my SA8400 :)

Ray

I forgot to mention that this is like getting a whole new music collection!!!! I seem to hear the biggest difference on old cd's, ones I haven't played for years, as they used to sound kind of crappy. But not anymore!!!!!!! All the low level and ambient information is now JUST THERE, and it never used to be there at all.

Marantz HDAM D.O.S.

D.O.S. - everyone with an eligible player should have one!!!!!!!!! This is simply the most profound improvement in audio quality I have experienced in 15 years of being serious in this hobby. AT LAST, most all, if not all, of the music on the disc gets played and enjoyed. Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Marantz HDAM is D.O.S. too, but why is it so bad ?

Whats about tweaking the Marantz HDAM ?

Cheers