Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Ricard0 what model cd player is this picture from?

Brent

It is the PSU of the Sony DAT I am using as a DAT.

The tape transport died but the DAC sound is much mor retailed than my actual setup.

I moded the CD 53 SE and now I want to upgrade the sony psu....

Without any schematics I really am afraid I can damage the pcb.. This part seems to be glued to the tx.....

Well I went to Brent's on Tuesday, and his system including the über-CD63KI is truly singing :drink:

The distortion is exceptionally low, shown by a complete absence of hardness or harshness at ANY listening level with ANY music. I've never heard any other system that can do this without somehow being unfaithful to the original music, which it isn't. There's pretty much all the detail you could want and it's delivered in an entirely unforced way.

The ATC speakers don't sugar-coat anything though: when Chris Rea's voice is destined to sound a little thin one assumes it really is a little thin on the CD (unlike at home where it's perhaps larger-than-life). Likewise, when there's little bass output it can feel a bit shy but when a big bass drum kicks or a synth bass line plumbs the depths it shakes the place rising instantly from silence.

The dynamics and naturalness have everything to do with the CD player mods, so follow as much as you can folks.

RCruz said:
I moded the CD 53 SE and now I want to upgrade the sony psu....

Without any schematics I really am afraid I can damage the pcb.. This part seems to be glued to the tx.....

Looks like you want to get cracking with a CD53 discrete output stage and super-regulator on your DAC analogue then and finally lose the Sony.

Regards
Simon

ps - I had a great reminder of what live, amplified music can sound like yesterday, when I saw Bedouin Soundclash at The Plug yesterday: terrific! :D

SimontY said:
Well I went to Brent's on Tuesday, and his system including the über-CD63KI is truly singing :drink:

The distortion is exceptionally low, shown by a complete absence of hardness or harshness at ANY listening level with ANY music. I've never heard any other system that can do this without somehow being unfaithful to the original music, which it isn't. There's pretty much all the detail you could want and it's delivered in an entirely unforced way.

The ATC speakers don't sugar-coat anything though: when Chris Rea's voice is destined to sound a little thin one assumes it really is a little thin on the CD (unlike at home where it's perhaps larger-than-life). Likewise, when there's little bass output it can feel a bit shy but when a big bass drum kicks or a synth bass line plumbs the depths it shakes the place rising instantly from silence.

The dynamics and naturalness have everything to do with the CD player mods, so follow as much as you can folks.

Wow :cool: thanks Simon

I assume you liked it then :D

Brent

cd63se dac voltage output

hi was wondering (i do that a lot:D ) what the dac output voltage was on the cd63se?
and i too have recived my ezdac today and am now thinking about parts, has anyone tried kiwame resistors? i know there rated at 2w will this make a diffrence? also i was thinking of using oscons or nichicon muse kz instead of blackgates or nichicon muse kz caps just to be different any thoughts?

thanks

chris

Joined 2006
Paid Member
External DAC.....EzDac ??

Hi

After reading your comments, I am startled.... whenever I ask something about the external dac I´m using, I get anwsers that focus my attention back to the cd53 dac / clock and output stage...

Actually the diference when I connect the external dac is enormous.... I get the same timbre balance, the same bass power but much more microdetail and the sound picture widens a LOT:hot:

Please note that i have been following all your indications, based inittially on Ray´s expert work.

The digital output is now fantastic.

I recently bought some LM4562 and would like your opinion about it´s implementation in the CD53. Can I expect a wider soundstage ?

Should I use a 80VA TX or is it "overkill":smash:

Regards
Ricardo

PS: The EzDac is an external DAC wright ?

The Nichicon Muse caps that I have tried have had a slightly soft character, quite like the Elna Silmic, and I have found both to be inferior to Black Gates.

Before you buy any Kiwame's or Black Gates, drop me an email as I may be able to get them cheaper for you. In fact if anyone wants any let me know in the next couple of days, as the more I get the cheaper they'll be.

Cheers,

Lee.

Re: External DAC.....EzDac ??

RCruz said:
Hi

After reading your comments, I am startled.... whenever I ask something about the external dac I´m using, I get anwsers that focus my attention back to the cd53 dac / clock and output stage...

I think that this is because it is very, very good once it has been modded. My player sounds far better than a >£1700 (monster) Kenwood transport and Roksan dac combination.

I plan to use 120VA tx, I say go for it!

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: External DAC.....EzDac ??

Thomo said:

I think that this is because it is very, very good once it has been modded. My player sounds far better than a >£1700 (monster) Kenwood transport and Roksan dac combination.

I plan to use 120VA tx, I say go for it!
So the DAC + Dig Filter SM5872BS in my CD53 is that good ?!

I was wandering if the extra space from the Sony was due to it´s 1 bit topology.

Ricardo

Re: External DAC.....EzDac ??

RCruz said:
Hi

Actually the diference when I connect the external dac is enormous.... I get the same timbre balance, the same bass power but much more microdetail and the sound picture widens a LOT:hot:

Please note that i have been following all your indications, based inittially on Ray´s expert work.

The digital output is now fantastic.

I recently bought some LM4562 and would like your opinion about it´s implementation in the CD53. Can I expect a wider soundstage ?

Regards
Ricardo

PS: The EzDac is an external DAC wright ?

Mine will be fitted internally.

The 80VA is overkill, but if thats whats at hand use it

The LM4562 is a great opamp. Very natural,I find best results from using BG STD with them

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
The Nichicon Muse caps that I have tried have had a slightly soft character, quite like the Elna Silmic, and I have found both to be inferior to Black Gates.

Before you buy any Kiwame's or Black Gates, drop me an email as I may be able to get them cheaper for you. In fact if anyone wants any let me know in the next couple of days, as the more I get the cheaper they'll be.
I believe I will need some BG for my new opamps....

Can you suggest a value ?

Ricardo