Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Numb nuts is using a speaker with a large magnet to prop the thing up.

ed0f_12.JPG

They don't just do Marantz, they do Kenwood too (sorry... I'll get me coat)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Glenn2 said:
Numb nuts is using a speaker with a large magnet to prop the thing up.

ed0f_12.JPG

They don't just do Marantz, they do Kenwood too (sorry... I'll get me coat)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll take the kettle....
If it was fitted with an IEC socket...
With special power cable i could get purer hot water. :clown:

allan

Hi Ray

Long time no speak. Hope you are OK.

Could the CD 57 mods you just listed apply to the CD63?

I have a KI and was thinking of building your discrete on a separate PCB using PtoP but the HDAM location seems much neater.

There has been talk of ready made PCB's for various mods, Brent mentioned one but I haven't heard anything else yet.

I wouldn't be in a position to actually build it for at least a couple of weeks but wanted to strike while the iron's hot, so to speak!

Regards

Jim

PS The EZDac looks fantastic but a bit beyond my humble skills at the moment!!

SimontY said:
Yes, Ray's stage is terrific sounding, with no colouration at all. It doesn't need fancy voltage regulators, as shown, but they do help get the best from it!

Simon

Thanks Simon, nothing to add to the above :D!

jimh0612 said:
Hi Ray

Long time no speak. Hope you are OK.

Could the CD 57 mods you just listed apply to the CD63?

I have a KI and was thinking of building your discrete on a separate PCB using PtoP but the HDAM location seems much neater.

There has been talk of ready made PCB's for various mods, Brent mentioned one but I haven't heard anything else yet.

I wouldn't be in a position to actually build it for at least a couple of weeks but wanted to strike while the iron's hot, so to speak!

Regards

Jim

PS The EZDac looks fantastic but a bit beyond my humble skills at the moment!!

Hi Jim,

I'm very well, thank you. A bit busy in the digital domain at the moment (one has to expand its horizon now and then...), but I like it very much. I'm conducting some measurements on the ezDAC at work, with a fancy Infiniium scope and spectrum analyzer :cool:. It's nice to be able to reproduce the graphs you normally only find in the datasheets! Performance is quite impressive so far! Screenshots will be posted soon, for those who are interested.

The DAC and analog section of the CD57 and 63 are nearly identical, so the outputstage and passive filter can be fitted in a 63 too, no problem. The HDAM circuit looks a lot like that of the outputstage, you can leave the HDAM's current sink intact and re-use it, in case you decide to fit the circuit on the player's PCB.

Regards,

Ray

disco said:
Thanks for your kind offer Ray. This project is on the fourth position in my to-do list, after a Low Noise compact PSU for the discrete out, followed by some Thermoni(a)c Needs and a couple of minor adjustments to the line conditioner / balanced power source.

That will be somewhere in december then :clown:. That's ok, I have two weeks holiday around that time :yes:.

Has anyone an alternative for the now obsolete Panasonic HFQ series 120uF/25V capacitors as their impedance at 100kHz is 0.200 ohm while the newer FC-series is 0.250 ohm. ??

Do you think such small difference will matter? Nonetheless, you could try the new Pana FM, or Ruby ZL. Those 100u/25V do 0.13~0.15 ohm. ZLG/ZLH and ZA are even lower.

Ray

Thomo said:
Just found this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD-63...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I reckon it'll go for a good price! I know it was a rip-off but still, it looks fabulous.

Lee.

This is not as rare as he claims. Atleast not in my experience.

Many years ago (I think it was 1995) I was visiting the offices of one Mr. Karl Hienz FInk of ALR-Jordan in Essen, Germany. Karl along with David Hobbs (he was with Monitor Audio) were good friends of Ken Ishiwata atleast that is what I was told.

Anyway in Karl's office was one such machine. When I admired it Karl (being a super nice guy) offered to me as a present. Needless to say i did not take it as I was too embarrassed and the copper chassis in a hot and humid climate we have in Mumbai, India would mean a lot of polishing.

Karl however made arrangements for a traditional black version of the same CD player. to be sent to me. A few years later David was visiting Monitor's then agent in India and bought me a Phonosophie CD Player (it was modified version of a 63Ki) as a gift also in black as he had heard that copper would tarnish and require constant polishing in India. Appartenly he (David) too had a copper version at his place.

6h5c said:

Thanks Simon, nothing to add to the above :D!

Hi Jim,

I'm very well, thank you. A bit busy in the digital domain at the moment (one has to expand its horizon now and then...), but I like it very much. I'm conducting some measurements on the ezDAC at work, with a fancy Infiniium scope and spectrum analyzer :cool:. It's nice to be able to reproduce the graphs you normally only find in the datasheets! Performance is quite impressive so far! Screenshots will be posted soon, for those who are interested.

The DAC and analog section of the CD57 and 63 are nearly identical, so the outputstage and passive filter can be fitted in a 63 too, no problem. The HDAM circuit looks a lot like that of the outputstage, you can leave the HDAM's current sink intact and re-use it, in case you decide to fit the circuit on the player's PCB.

Regards,

Ray

Ray, I'm looking forward to your measurements! BTW, I saw on your website some pics of the Flea hooked up to the ezDAC. So, you are using the Flea as the external XO? Does it make a significant difference soncially?