Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: Another CD63KI

Mags said:

It's sounding very very nice but a bit dry and over clinical, it's still burning in at the moment though. I'm not to sure the Zapfilter is the way to go yet so I'll probably try one of Ray's discrete output stages later on.

Hi.

Well after letting the player settle for over a week on continuous repeat the player has taken on a whole new lease of life :cool:
When I first installed the Zapfilter 2 output stage the player sounded ultra detailed but uninvolving. Now it still has all the micro detail as before but the whole sound has opened up, the sound stage is huge and vocals sound as if they are in the room!
Next step is to mount the Zapfilters PSU in a separate enclosure and add another transformer for the servo regs :smash:

The only problem I now have is yet another dodgy laser from Grandata :cannotbe:

Cheers,
Mags.

Attachments

• cd63zap.jpg
    cd63zap.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 251
rowemeister said:
Excellent news. It always takes a while for mods to settle in. Also do you leave the cdp switched on 24-7 as this makes a huge difference.

Grandata are *******

Brent

Hi Brent.

When I used to mod these players for other people I never had a problem with Grandata but the last 2 laser I've got form them seem to have a different Vam1202 sticker on them? Luckily I have a spare CD63KI and CD67SE (slightly modded) with good CDM12.1 lasers and a VAM1202 from Dalbani. The 1 in my player jumps even on new disc's and will not read CDR's

:whazzat:

Cheers,
Mags.

6h5c said:
I'll be glad to put the SMDs on for you
Thanks for your kind offer Ray. This project is on the fourth position in my to-do list, after a Low Noise compact PSU for the discrete out, followed by some Thermoni(a)c Needs and a couple of minor adjustments to the line conditioner / balanced power source.

Has anyone an alternative for the now obsolete Panasonic HFQ series 120uF/25V capacitors as their impedance at 100kHz is 0.200 ohm while the newer FC-series is 0.250 ohm. ??

Hmmmm, seem to be some clock products on Ebay:

C1 clock on Ebay

D1 divide circuit on Ebay

These are rather good so I'm happy to recommend them. I don't think there's anything even nearly as cheap around.

The C1 seems to compare well against the old Audiocom DVC-1 (was £100 about 5 years ago). My DVC-1 went faulty (like most things I touch) so I replaced it and the divide by 2 circuit with two C1s. This arrangement (one clock purely on servo) is much better, allowing many more fine details out.

Simon

disco said:

Do these new units need adjustment?

Seems that way. Bad QC.

Brent's old trick of adjusting the glued bolts on the underside was necessary for my VAM1202 to play CDRs. Maybe it's to do with disc thickness which may affect focussing, but my blanks are mainly Plextor made by Taiyo Yuden which are supposed to be the best.

Adjust too far and it stops playing some normal discs!

The art is to find the sweet spot where it plays everything.

I had a couple of especially tricky CDRs and one tricky normal CD that provided the boundaries. At the sweet spot it plays everything.

I found that adjustment to one of the bolts was not sufficient and I had to adjust them both.

Major pain but once done it has been playing fine for months.

SimontY said:
Hmmmm, seem to be some clock products on Ebay:

C1 clock on Ebay

D1 divide circuit on Ebay

These are rather good so I'm happy to recommend them. I don't think there's anything even nearly as cheap around.

The C1 seems to compare well against the old Audiocom DVC-1 (was £100 about 5 years ago). My DVC-1 went faulty (like most things I touch) so I replaced it and the divide by 2 circuit with two C1s. This arrangement (one clock purely on servo) is much better, allowing many more fine details out.

Simon

Thanks Simon

Any takers? You know you want that extra servo detail

Brent