Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Been testing the TX upgrades. I am very happy with it here at work. The clarity is superb with wicked bass slam and dynamics.
Eric Clapton unplugged has more details on the strings and an overall more open airy sound.

Here are 4 pics of the unit with the txs (not tidied up yet).

Just to clarify the 30VA toroid tx has replaced the original KI tx and supplies the discrete output only.

The 15VA toroid tx (near mains input) supplies voltage to the driver ics and micro

The small blue 1.6VA tx behind the 30VA runs the display circuits (The two 3.2VA next to it are for the servo section but you knew that already)

PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3
PIC 4

Next job is to fit some more 9V regs for the other 2 driver ics

Brent

I wouldn't dare fit all that! If something goes wrong, it'll be a nightmare to trace the fault. Unless of course if it was my player, then you follow the smoke trail and the bad burning smell:D

I have a couple of questions is ya don't mind:

Is that gold coloured thing in front of the servo tx's a resistor?

What is the small elevated board with caps and a to220 device next to the sole remaining Panasonic FC?

Always questions, questions, questions.

Lee.

Yes is the simple answer

You just heard that Naim CD5 I just upgraded with clock , SPower regs , BG caps , OPA627 and a few well know tweeks in the filter stages and it sounded stunning. Ok its not as good as mine but it was pretty good.
The thing I have found with Naim stuff is that the lower models appear to have been detuned, and this makes it easier to upgrade.

If I were to upgrade (if it can be called an upgrade) or start a new project I would buy a pretty expensive player to work on, maybe the Marantz SA-7S1 (don't laugh I have thought about it)

Brent

I agree. I bought a Marantz CD273SE for a fiver! It's so old it doesn't have a remote control facility.

This has TDA1541 dac and after studying the boards, it seems marantz have implemented a few tweaks to the circuits already. I replaced all power supply caps, new opamps and decoupling elco's and it sounded far superior to my CD63/67's with the same mods.

Lee.

Thomo said:
I agree. I bought a Marantz CD273SE for a fiver! It's so old it doesn't have a remote control facility.

This has TDA1541 dac and after studying the boards, it seems marantz have implemented a few tweaks to the circuits already. I replaced all power supply caps, new opamps and decoupling elco's and it sounded far superior to my CD63/67's with the same mods.

Lee.

Pics?? Thread maybe?? It is often said that the TDA1541 has a special sound to it...

Simon

22mV AC signal at output

Hi folks!
I have been modding my CD63 KI for a while now, but have only just noticed that there is a 20mV p-p signal at the output, at about 12Mhz (maybe, a bit messy). This signal has been spotted before, but has anyone worked out how to get rid of it?
I am using opamps (8620s) but no HDAM. Seperate schultz regulators for opamps and the 3 supplies for the DAC. Star earthing (with tracks cut as you should!).
I would not expect this noise from the circuit used!
Any suggestions?

Cheers, and thanks for this thread.

Geoff

Luke said:
22mV nise seems quite high, thats about 1% of full output.
Can this player be reengineered to get rid of the noise?