Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Glenn2 said:
Hey Ray - do you think the newer generation of DACs like the Crystal 'super' DACs offer superior sound over older ones like the NPC?

For example, is your SA-8400+Tent Flea+output stage significantly better than a 63/67 with the same treatment? (for red book...)

How is that SA-7001 going?

A lot of modern DACs have the disadvantage that part of the filterstage is integrated. Mainly a cost saving measure. But it seems if this is done properly, a new DAC can sound quite nice actually. I was a bit sceptic towards the one that Marantz used in the SA8400, but it does a better job compared with my CD67s. I have one with an output stage and one with opamps, but both of them have to bow for the 8400. In its original un-modded state the 8400 could not keep up with the 67s, and SACD playback was only a bit better.

The SA7001 is still untouched, i'm working on a CD63KI at the moment. But I will certainly tweak it in the future :D
Which reminds me: Martin, how are the Flea PCB's going :D ?

Regards,

Ray

Interesting stuff Ray.

Are they a bit clumsy in operation, like DVD players? And do you know if they buffer the data off the disc as is becoming more common these days?

Just wondering if an SA-7001 would be a better home for my Tent clock+PSU and Zapfilter.... ;)

I like the musicality of my 67, but I'd like a little more detail ultimately.

Glenn2 said:
Maybe I need a new amp and speakers then!

I dunno to be honest mate. Could be.

Make a list of everything you've done to the player and compare it with Brent's modlist. His reveals unbelievable detail from any CD. I just can't imagine many players bettering it. Mine is a touch less detailed but not that far off really. Actually, more than detail retrieval, the sound is slightly soft and false from mine by comparison. This is a weakness (only compared to that reference) that I hope the new output stage will rectify.

The other notable difference is the immensely perfect treble rendition (and overall calm). Mine lacks the sublety, smoothness and that lovely delicacy his player pours out. It sounds splashy by comparison. But mine in turn can make most sound splashy!! This is apparently due to his using a better DAC clock and servo clock, and the use of super regs around the dac and servo sections. Perhaps also the HF amp components being upgraded to 0.1% resistors and silver mica caps. I'd imagine me using standard filter parts (not for long!) will also affect the treble quality.

Have you done the HF line with coax yet? This improves detail a tiny notch and top end smoothness.

Simon

My system is warm with all sources, and I think that is the main problem.

I'm moving sometime this year though, so I don't want to start tuning the system until it's in its new home.

I have a stock 63 for reference, and my modded 67SE beats it in every area. The 63 does have a more forward midrange, but I don't think this neutral, probably more a jitter artefact.

I'm not at all unhappy with my 67 - it's just that disease of always wanting something better!:D

Glenn2 said:
Interesting stuff Ray.

Are they a bit clumsy in operation, like DVD players? And do you know if they buffer the data off the disc as is becoming more common these days?

Just wondering if an SA-7001 would be a better home for my Tent clock+PSU and Zapfilter.... ;)

I like the musicality of my 67, but I'd like a little more detail ultimately.

Hi Glen,

No, it's not clumsy at all. The transport is very fast in reading the TOC and skipping tracks. It is a DVD transport though, there are some Marantz and Denon models that use it. The servo and decoder chip both have some D-RAM attached to it, and there's also a FIFO between them that's clocked by MCLK. So it seems to me the data is buffered and reclocked into the decoder by the FIFO.

I dare to say the SA7001/8400 will beat any CD63/67 when properly modded :bigeyes:. They offer more resolution and detail, great depth in the soundstage. These players go sky-high with a proper clock and outputstage. I had to change my tweeters and interconnects to unleash their full potential :D. I'm actually thinking about selling one of my CD67s, because I never use it anymore...

Regards,

Ray

Attachments

• sa8400_block.jpg
    sa8400_block.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 278
Joined 2002
Paid Member
6h5c said:

I dare to say the SA7001/8400 will beat any CD63/67 when properly modded :bigeyes:. They offer more resolution and detail, great depth in the soundstage. These players go sky-high with a proper clock and outputstage. I had to change my tweeters and interconnects to unleash their full potential :D. I'm actually thinking about selling one of my CD67s, because I never use it anymore...

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

Have you seen my posts regarding my mods to my DV7600? To me modding a universal player was the next logical step beyond my CD67 because of the ability to play all silver discs.

Regards,
Dan

6h5c said:

Eek :bigeyes:! Look at that thing! A cheap Sony transport & PCB and KSS laserunit! Eek :bigeyes:!
That means it is not that hard to beat with a decent modded Marantz.

Ray

Hi Ray,
I think like that, when compared with this cdp I surprised with my marantz, first impression ...wouw...my marantz more big and bold,more natural but with serious listening I can feel that consonace droplet more smooth/warm bass and neat music (timing), I believed someday I can beat this consonance if I dig up again my marantz.
Tks Ray

regards
aquar

Sorry if this is deemed OT, but I am selling my beloved Dynaco CDV-1 CD Player! :bawling:

As with my CD-63, I have modified the living hell out of it (see my post a few hundred pages back ... LOL!). But, with a newborn baby in the house and going back to 1 income since Mom is staying home now, I had to choose and the CD-63 won. Of course, I have twice as much $ into mods for the CD-63! :dead:

Anyway, here is the eBay auction link. If anyone here wants it, I'll take off the $15 packaging fee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=330137458517&rd=1&rd=1

PS - Also check out my other auctions for a nice vinatage Yamaha C-4/M-4 setup ...

aquar said:
Unfortunately, tentslab clock, audiocom etc very expensive from my place, I hope get AD8561 soon for kwakclock apllied ..............

Selamat Pagi,

Some ready-made clocks can be expensive and the parts for some self-build can de hard to get and/or expensive.

However, it is possible to build a clock yourself on perf.circuit board that works far better than the standard clock.

For example, the oscillator from the Qwack clock can drive a 74xx chip rather than the high-speed comparator. This gives results similar to the LC clocks.

((Send me a PM. I am away at the moment. I'll send you some info when I get back to the UK. Are the Indonesian customs still 'HOT' on imports?))

Andy

SimontY said:

Without checking, I think a couple of posters here tried a tube output, and liked the results. The FET output will do the same sort of job though I'd have thought. And much more neatly. Can't wait to hear mine.

Simon

Hi.

I tried a tube output stage but with different tubes to Ray's.

The actual tube stage is not difficult to design.
It's the power supplies !!!!!!!

Soundwise, I prefer my tube stage over the discrete output but it is a close thing.

Andy