Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Also, do you want to use Black Gates before each regulator? You could just play it safe with 25v caps of a cheaper variety (Panasonic Fc etc.). If I've learnt one thing about value for money in upgrading this CD player it's to save the most expensive caps for local decoupling. This means the caps right next to the DAC, decoder, servo and op-amps.

Simon

SimontY said:

Also, might it be wise to NOT take the voltage for the clock, op-amps and everything else from this one supply?

Perhaps the clock and op-amps should take their voltages from different places. I'd suggest a dedicated transformer is used to power the clock.

Agreed, it would provide better psu isolation with obvious results !

16v with 25v Pana FC caps ? - I could live with that suggestion.

Andy

poynton said:

Can we have a name and a picture for these mystery caps ??

Andy

The caps are Samxon GC series

Attachments

• samxongc2.jpg
    samxongc2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 342
Thanks for the info guys.

I will go away and do some research. A couple of questions to get me started:

1) Does the supply to a separate transformer come from mains before the main transformer, or does it take a feed from one of the lower voltage windings?

2) I was thinking of running the 5V regs from this new board and the 12V regs from C803. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Simon (from Oz)

SimontY said:
Does this help you???

I've tried to make it as clear, logical and "good" as possible.

Red wires are positive voltage, green ones are ground.

There's one transformer, two power supplies and 4 regulators. This gives you 3x5vdc and 1x12vdc.

That is very cool!!! Thankyou!!! :D :bigeyes: :D

I shall heavily plagiarise your design. I like the way you only use one 5V reg for DAC & Decoder digital etc. It's a very simple and functional design........at least on paper :).

The variation I plan to do is to use 470u 16V BG's in place of the 330u 16V Pan FC's. Also a 40V 1A schottky instead of 100V 1A (due to easy availability). Of course I'd better use the Super Raygulators otherwise my wife will kill me for leaving soldering equipment, components etc on our dining room table for the past week. ;)

You're welcome. I can give the original .png if you have suitable software to redraw it for your needs.

I'd only use Black Gate caps AFTER the regulators. It's probably a bit of a waste placing any before (unless you're really going all out (including using super regulators)).

And remember to also place Black Gates on the main pcb next to the DAC and decoder (and servo if you like).

I think 40v schottkies will do fine.

The grounding is important so try to use stars, more or less like shown in the diagram! Don't use any bypass caps as they can cause problems (I found this out the hard way) and they are useless in parallel with Black Gates.

Simon

poynton said:

If you have cleaned the lens and 'serviced' the mechanism, I would suspect that the laser is on the way out.

If you can, check by substitution. They are not that expensive for a new unit, anyway.

Andy

Andy
I replaced the CM12 back in June or July I can change it out with the other CD63 I have and see if the is what is wrong.
Thanks

YoungSC said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I will go away and do some research. A couple of questions to get me started:

1) Does the supply to a separate transformer come from mains before the main transformer, or does it take a feed from one of the lower voltage windings?

2) I was thinking of running the 5V regs from this new board and the 12V regs from C803. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Simon (from Oz)

1) Take the 240V from the primary of the main tx (after switch)

The 20V for the 12v regs is very good on its own.

2) If you use a two winding tx 9-0-9 vac you will have roughly 2x 12v dc for the regs

Brent

Being well equipped with a wealth of inexperience, it looks to me as if Brent is suggesting a separate transformer for the 12V and 5V circuits of Simon's diagram.

If that is the case, are you saying that there is a significant difference between using separate transformers instead of a single transformer with twin windings?

Or are you more concerned with the quality of the reg?

Ideally what you want is a tx (or winding) for each reg, but this can be costly or too much work for people.

Both Simon and I were saying the standard 20V is pretty good for the opamps 12V.

With regards to more expensive regs the saying 'you get what you pay for' definatly rings true. They reveal so much more music and hidden content it really is an eye opener, it makes you wonder why you never did it before.

Of course running these regs with their own tx etc brings even greater benefits.

With regards to the what to run question there are two options.

1)One 9V two winding TX to supply DAC and Decoder regs. For good gains.

2)Use one 9V two winding tx (12V dc) for DAC analogue and digital supplies. And a 12V two winding tx (16V dc) for clock and decoder inputs. This will have significant gains.

Brent