Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:
Yep ! The extra cost is a bit of a nuisence but , hey, under $3 per chip !!!

Andy

Hi Andy, yes, very good value...

Malefoda said:
I'm longing for the National Semi's wonder review!!!

Ok, initial results coming!

6h5c said:
Pls. enlighten us on how they sound, i'm very curious...

Well, I got mine (LM4562) today. I installed them in my preamp this evening... initially pleasant but I felt the sound was lacklustre and a bit soft. Then I realised one of my noobish housemates had turned my cd63 down with the digital control!! I'm using them for two gain stages (may sound slightly different in CD63, yet to try) and they are replacing the now very familar LM6172.

The 4562 is more laid back, less etched and aggressive, softer, not lacking in detail at all, and it seems to image better. Vocals are definately a strong point. Bass is a touch reticent after the heavy-handed LM6172, but I think this sound is a lower distortion one. I'd have to check back but these initially seem better than OPA2132/4 and LM6172 (and of course cr@p like OPA2604).

For those wanting a superior sound that is very listenable and in a handy dual package, try these out with the sample program, I think you'll like them.

And my disclaimer: this is one listening session so I will need to listen over days, if not weeks, to fully evaluate these new puppies. I could be wrong :clown:

Cheers for listening,
Simon

Attachments

• lm456.jpg
    lm456.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 393
6h5c said:

Yes :yes:! It's the ultimate solution for me. No clicks and pops during power-up, and the audiophile 'click' between the tracks is very sophisticated :D.

Ray

It is good, also you hear the clicking of the relay in tracks where in production they added a mute. You would never normally know. lol

Do you find the 67 is worse than the 63 for the popping etc when the muting is removed. I have.

Brent

SimontY said:

Well, I got mine (LM4562) today. I installed them in my preamp this evening... initially pleasant but I felt the sound was lacklustre and a bit soft. Then I realised one of my noobish housemates had turned my cd63 down with the digital control!! I'm using them for two gain stages (may sound slightly different in CD63, yet to try) and they are replacing the now very familar LM6172.

The 4562 is more laid back, less etched and aggressive, softer, not lacking in detail at all, and it seems to image better. Vocals are definately a strong point. Bass is a touch reticent after the heavy-handed LM6172, but I think this sound is a lower distortion one. I'd have to check back but these initially seem better than OPA2132/4 and LM6172 (and of course cr@p like OPA2604).

For those wanting a superior sound that is very listenable and in a handy dual package, try these out with the sample program, I think you'll like them.

And my disclaimer: this is one listening session so I will need to listen over days, if not weeks, to fully evaluate these new puppies. I could be wrong :clown:

Cheers for listening,
Simon

SimontY said:

Hi, unfortunately I've not tried AD8620 myself, so I can't say which chip I prefer.

Simon

I had the AD8620 as "preferred chip" earlier on, but must admit the 4562 beats it. It has more body, stronger bass, a lovely voice - in short - better music. Everything seems to flow nicely.

I have them, both in the 63 and in my pre (kind of ESP project88 but not quite).

Attachments

• img_7176.jpg
    img_7176.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 389
My LM4562's are on the way, ordered today. Im getting these instead of the burson audio hdams.

For me the best way to listen after a mod is run some tracks while i nip round to my mums (can be the blonde next door, makes no difference lol), come back a few hours later after some burn in and then listen.

I get nice sounds and my mum is pleased to see me :)

Anyone come across any gold plated DIP ic holders ??? id love to fit some.

6h5c said:

No, I can't say I noticed any difference so far. Maybe a different PSU arrangement that causes this? Anyway, my player has to wait for my tubes to warm up, so even without muting I hear nothing :D.

Ray

ahh tubes. I forgot you ran those.

Ive just modded a 63KI for a customer and used his NAIM SNAPS PSU for the DAC and Decoder voltages. I did mod the Naim psu by fitting a better lower esr main smoothing cap and added extra bypassing to circuit.

The cd player benefits from pana fc and silmics through out with everycap bypassed. Star earth , Hdam and caps bypassed with relay muting circuit. Op amps are just OPA2134 (for now). Well all the usual bobbins that works :D

The sound is very laid back with good clean vocals a well extended bass. Much better than I thought it would be.

Its got me thinking of modding a CD17KI and using two modded Naim psu to run the extra voltage rails etc. mmmmmm

Brent

poynton said:
Hi.

Although the principle of psu improvement is well known, my concern with this arrangement is the extra connectors and lead length.

Andy

I agree to a certain extent. Of course Naim can't be doing things too badly.

This is definatly and improvement in audio over a small pcb with 4 regs and small toroid, trust me i've built an millions (err alot anyway lol):smash: I'm sure if i could squeeze this psu into the unit then the benefits would be greater. This psu does have a rather large Toroid in it.
So basically two identical psu with one inside and one external the internal one will give better gains. But a good external will be better than an average internal IMHO

Brent

rowemeister said:
ahh tubes. I forgot you ran those.

Ive just modded a 63KI for a customer and used his NAIM SNAPS PSU for the DAC and Decoder voltages. I did mod the Naim psu by fitting a better lower esr main smoothing cap and added extra bypassing to circuit.

The cd player benefits from pana fc and silmics through out with everycap bypassed. Star earth , Hdam and caps bypassed with relay muting circuit. Op amps are just OPA2134 (for now). Well all the usual bobbins that works :D

The sound is very laid back with good clean vocals a well extended bass. Much better than I thought it would be.

Its got me thinking of modding a CD17KI and using two modded Naim psu to run the extra voltage rails etc. mmmmmm

Brent

Hey Brent,

Nice job! Such a PSU is a very nice solution for us lazy ones :yes:. The 2604 is probably responsible for the laid back part :D.
I've been working on my SA8400 this very afternoon. Fitted some more BG's that arrived yesterday. Still waiting for the manual to arrive to attack the HDAM and Current Buffer Marantz put in there. I'm listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller at the moment. Goosebumps...

Regards,

Ray

6h5c said:

Hey Brent,

Nice job! The 2604 is probably responsible for the laid back part :D.
I've been working on my SA8400 this very afternoon. Fitted some more BG's that arrived yesterday. Still waiting for the manual to arrive to attack the HDAM and Current Buffer Marantz put in there. I'm listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller at the moment. Goosebumps...

Regards,

Ray

Can't wait to see some internal pics with all those BG.

Thriller and Billy Jean is amazing when played on a good system. You need good speed and timing for billy jean. Thriller is just awsome especially the ending.

Brent