Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

It may be the Javascript, I get text, pics and all the way at the bottom there is a schematic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I thought it looked quite nicely done as well Simon, especially when you consider the price for pcb and all the parts is $45 w/ 3ppm crystal or $30 w/ 10ppm crystal. Its got to be better than the stock clock I would think??

I will apologise in advance to anyone who dislikes pictures.

With that said, here come six pictures... :att'n:

Firstly, an overview of the internals.

Attachments

• innards.jpg
    innards.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 370
imperfectcircle said:
I may pick up on of these clocks just to try, do you think upgrading from the 1oppm crystal to the 3ppm is worth an extra $15??

Peace of mind maybe? lol

imperfectcircle said:
What kind of regulators are you using on that board? Looks easy enough, maybe I will try it.

Just "jellybean" 7805. They'll be upgraded at some point in the future I'd imagine, but they work well enough (good improvement on the single shared 7805 as per stock).

This is where ground is routed! A couple are detatchable: for reg board and transport/mech section. The bigger wire links it to the IEC socket I added. The large resistor reduces the voltage for the twin blue LEDs (which shine across the disc). Also you can see the choke for live and neutral. That bluetac is pointless I think lol :smash:

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 352
SimontY said:
Here's a closeup of the regulator board. The heatsinked reg gets quite warm so it's been treated to some cooling. The big cap is BG Standard 1000uF and the little ones are Panasonic FC 33uF, the very little ones are 22nF polyester.

Nice job Simon, good music too :)

In case you didn't use low drop regulators (LT108X series) and are feeding from the +20 rails, that's where your heat comes from.
Maybe it's wise to have an extra tranny for the 5V supplies, of say 7V. That would give out app 8.5Vdc (with Schottkies), just enough to feed your regs.

Regards, Jaap

disco said:

In case you didn't use low drop regulators (LT108X series) and are feeding from the +20 rails, that's where your heat comes from.
Maybe it's wise to have an extra tranny for the 5V supplies, of say 7V. That would give out app 8.5Vdc (with Schottkies), just enough to feed your regs.

Regards, Jaap

Cheers Jaap, I am planning to install some trannies and rectifiers (schottkies) in a metal box and attach this via some wires and a DIN connector. The clock psu is external already so I might aswell put it in a bigger box with more useful things and supercharge it all over again!

disco said:

Regards, Jaap

I often use the +20v for the 7805 regs on other players and they never usually get hot. bizzare.

On my player and other uber mod players I usually use a nuvotem toroidal 9V tx.

Brent