Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:
Hi,

The display is turned off instantly at power-off by means of Q852...854, otherwise you would see it fade to dark. The -20V Vftd is switched to the heater voltage by Q852. You can insert a small switch there, or drive one of the transistors. It won't get rid of the controllers drive signals though.

I shorted D852 to make the display less bright (I have a fairly new player, you can read a book near the display...). Before that I always used to dim it one step. It also prolongs the life of the display.

Regards,

Ray.

So VF1 and VF2 are heater supply
and VFTD is the -24v supply for the display.
I would break the track close to the uP QF01/pin64 and fit a spst push switch in the redundant headphone socket.

Now to update the to-do list!

Andy

ps did the attachments read OK?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the article. Everything received o.k.
Guess I could have saved the money for that common-mode choke....:cannotbe:

So VF1 and VF2 are heater supply and VFTD is the -24v supply for the display.
I would break the track close to the uP QF01/pin64 and fit a spst push switch in the redundant headphone socket.

Do you think that will work? I thought the outputs of the uP are switching to ground, because the cathode voltage Vftd is already supplied through the heaters. It's like a direct heated tube :D

Ray.

Hi.

In my case, the jury is still out - I think/ know better improvement can be made in other areas first.

Like snake oil, green cd ink, stabiliser rings, hard feet, soft feet or even the 'demagnetising cd' I mentioned above, some will find benefit (real or imagined) and some will not.

The problem with some/most of the improvements are that they are hard to do an A/B comparison and secondly, the improvement/degradation may be very small and subtle. I am getting older now and I know my hearing is going at the top end!

Andy

2 years ago at a Kenwood seminar I and one or two thers could hear this constant high pitched noise, it was barely noticable but there.

After about an hour one of the Kenwood guys said 'Can anyone hear a high pitched noise'. To which a few said yes.

He unvailed a signal generator wired to one of their amps and speakers. 20Khz. And I could hear it. Just!!!

Most people started to hear it when it dropped below 18Khz.

One bloke (about 62 years old) who we knew was a little bit deaf on the top frequancies could only hear up to 9.5Khz LOL

The display can be switched off by removing U108, which carries the displays 24v supply. I used the player's white headphone connector in its place and added a switch in the headphone socket. This kills the display but not the other functions.

Also I've replaced the ribbon cable from the transport to the main PCB.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, I especially liked the HDAM bypass, well worth it.

rowemeister said:
2 years ago at a Kenwood seminar I and one or two thers could hear this constant high pitched noise, it was barely noticable but there.

After about an hour one of the Kenwood guys said 'Can anyone hear a high pitched noise'. To which a few said yes.

He unvailed a signal generator wired to one of their amps and speakers. 20Khz. And I could hear it. Just!!!

Most people started to hear it when it dropped below 18Khz.

One bloke (about 62 years old) who we knew was a little bit deaf on the top frequancies could only hear up to 9.5Khz LOL

Last time I checked I coud hear 18khz, but not 20khz! I'm 24 btw.

Was quite interesting listening to a fairly experimental sort of techno album the other day, something by Blir... One track came on that had some fairly annoying high pitched stuff, and it was playing loud. It annoyed me a little, but my housemate was reeling in pain and complaining! I guess my ears are a little more fcked than his! None of us had trouble appreciating the 25hz or so bass tones :)

I always tell people that hi-fi upgrading/tweeking isn't about having the best hearing, it's knowing what you're listening for and noticing your enjoyment!

That said I am a little more wary of standing right next to speakers in clubs these days, especially high frequency horns :xeye:

The modded machine vs. the non modded

Hi again..

I'm going to mod my 63. This threat is going to be my inspiration as well as TNT.

I have bought 2 machines, a 63 and a 63SE. The SE is going to be the refecencepoint.

When considering hifi I think of three components: Pitch, rhythm and information

You guys, how will you describe the mods, regarding to pitch, rythm and information. Compared to the Arcam Alpha 5+ the 63 playes a little "slower".

I'm not interested in micro details, more or less treble and so on - just the pure music.

/avr300

These marantz when modded are up there with the best mate.

Mine even though still sounding like a marantz is a million miles away from where it started.

The treble is precise and articulate. Mid range vocals are beautiful.And the bass has quick tight timing.

I hear things in recordings I never felt possible from this price player.

It just feels complete.

I have listened to CD-17KI units and they sound shut in and soft compared to mine now :D

Every mod gives its own individual gains :smash: