Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

avr300 said:
Hi Simon..

Is your 63 home again ?

Hello!

Nope, not yet. The servo chip didn't arrive on Friday so it can't be completely fixed until Monday at the earliest :bawling:

But the wait will be well worth it as Brent has kindly neatened the clock divider, moved the master clock to a better place, neatened and improved my DAC regs, added a feed to the decoder chip, made some component changes, improved the star grounding layout, and moved the 12v regs next to the op-amps.

And that is on top of making the thing work again, and of course fixing up the display (running at -12v), and resoldering some dodgy pads he found, including the likely culprit for making that left channel noise I complained about. Truly a nice guy!

I really can't wait to hear it, for it will be a stunning machine!

SimontY said:

Hello!

Nope, not yet. The servo chip didn't arrive on Friday so it can't be completely fixed until Monday at the earliest :bawling:

But the wait will be well worth it as Brent has kindly neatened the clock divider, moved the master clock to a better place, neatened and improved my DAC regs, added a feed to the decoder chip, made some component changes, improved the star grounding layout, and moved the 12v regs next to the op-amps.

And that is on top of making the thing work again, and of course fixing up the display (running at -12v), and resoldering some dodgy pads he found, including the likely culprit for making that left channel noise I complained about. Truly a nice guy!

I really can't wait to hear it, for it will be a stunning machine!

sounds like brent was enjoying himself:cool:

did you watch while he was soldering?
pick up a few tips?

a picture is worth a thousand works :D

allan

awpagan said:
sounds like brent was enjoying himself:cool:

did you watch while he was soldering?
pick up a few tips?

a picture is worth a thousand works :D

allan

Hi Allan,

Brent did not begin work whilst I was there. He has worked inbetween real work, rather than doing it all at once. I have assimilated some tips about soldering and such. But really it's experience I need more of.

He sent a few pics of progress. Here he thought a BG I used elsewhere was better used on the reg board.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 368
Perhaps a little boring this one, but it shows one star ground connection, the shielding of the decoder chip and also the psu feed change that Brent made. He mentioned this earlier in the thread - Marantz made a mistake and fed the 5v to the wrong side of the decoupling resistor. Now, of course, this chip gets 5v regs shared only with one other circuit each - DAC digital and decoder digital share one, and DAC analogue and decoder analogue share another.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 442
Last one! Here's the reg pcb that feeds the DAC and decoder (large cap now changed). You can also see where some of the grounds go to, and where he moved the Audiocom DVC-1 clock board to.

Apologies to those that didn't want to see these pictures. I know there are quite a few of them, but maybe they'll be of interest to some of you, I don't know! :smash:

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 420
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CD63 Logic Problem??

disco said:

There's a switch at the back of the player for the remote. Tried that one yet?

Yea, I got caught out on that switch the first time I got the player :xeye:... No, I tried the switch on both internal and external... but no joy.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the front panel, but there's no way to know until I take the player apart again. Hopefully it's something really minor, like something blocking the IR sensor. :idea:

Champi

disco said:

Hello Dave,

Your CD63 has trouble initiating and skips from time to time, right?
Question: does it ever play normal or doesn't it play at all?

If it is playing sometimes:
Cause #1 could be dried lubrication on the metal rod underneath the laser. Clean the rod with a clean cloth and 90% alcohol.
Cause #2 could be a bad connection. Clean the ribbons' contacts (the one on the left, seen from the front). You might try lifting the ribbon 1/10 inch within the connector (at both sides).

If it isn't playing at all the cause can be electrical or the laser current may need to be corrected. Have you tried your working CDM12 in the new player?

Regards, Jaap

Hi Jaap

The player dose have trouble initiating it with sometimes play two or three tracks then stop. Sometimes won't play at all.
I did try the CDM12 in my other CD63 and it didn't work. And put the other CDM12 in and it work fine.
As for the current to be adjusted you need a scope for that right?
Or will a DMM work for that?

Thanks

Dave