Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Next project...

I couldn't resist....

Bought two Marantz CD65's off internet. CDM4/19 swingarm transport, and TDA1541A DAC.
Both are running! Let the modding begin....:D

Attachments

• cd65s.jpg
    cd65s.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 402
Next project

One of them is a Special Edition. The differences: it's stuffed with Cerafines and two NE5532 instead of LM833 opamps, can you believe that!

I hooked it up and it sounds great actually! The music is very calm and relaxed, but not laid back or veiled. The soundstage stays a bit between the speakers though. I like my CD67 better, but this is unexpected! Looks very promising. Maybe i'm infected with the 1541 virus now. Next thing you know i'm into non-OS!!

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• cd65se_cerafines.jpg
    cd65se_cerafines.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 432
Re: Next project

6h5c said:
One of them is a Special Edition. The differences: it's stuffed with Cerafines and two NE5532 instead of LM833 opamps, can you believe that!

I hooked it up and it sounds great actually! The music is very calm and relaxed, but not laid back or veiled. The soundstage stays a bit between the speakers though. I like my CD67 better, but this is unexpected! Looks very promising. Maybe i'm infected with the 1541 virus now. Next thing you know i'm into non-OS!!

Regards,

Ray.

Excellent Ray.

Looks like a good player to mod.

Brent

Just thought i'd say hi, and happy sunny days.

I'm taking a break from destroying 63's atm until my exams are over. Then im going to do the reg mod that simon just did, although i have x2 5V audicom super-regs for decoder digtial and analogue.
Got 3m of coax cable from maplins too, and will eventually order the rest of the resistors and caps from farnell.

Plus ive managed to procure x4 we are scientists tickets for the nottingham show in november, which should make me some nice profit for cdp mods on ebay :D

6h5c said:
Hi ad!

I hope your exams will go well, and that you have some spare time to enjoy the sunny days too!

Ray.

Awww thanks ray.

Sunny days are lovely, and spent the evning out at the local park playing some frisbee and drinking good ol' english cider, then watched the UEFA cup final. Silly middlesborough.

Have fun with your mods lads, il see you back properly in a couple of weeks.

b.t.w i think i have actually typed a post without spelling errors for once. I must keep this amount of alcohol in my system. Tut tut

:D

adfinni said:

Awww thanks ray.

Sunny days are lovely, and spent the evning out at the local park playing some frisbee and drinking good ol' english cider, then watched the UEFA cup final. Silly middlesborough.

Have fun with your mods lads, il see you back properly in a couple of weeks.

b.t.w i think i have actually typed a post without spelling errors for once. I must keep this amount of alcohol in my system. Tut tut

:D

Actually you wrote english and not English. LOL

And evning LOL

And middlesborough LOL

Anyway enjoy your time off modding

Brent

rowemeister said:
There could be a dry joint on DAC etc.
Try swapping opamps over also.
Explain the noise for others mate.

Brent

Thanks, it's quite broadband and steady, sounds random, like white noise, all frequencies. Audible at listening seat at medium-high levels on v. quiet passages or paused/stopped.

Si

edit: also the image is skewed to the left (otherwise sounds stunning)

Re: Re: Cd65

awpagan said:

Hey, great links Allan, thanks. I'm going to look for the CD782 manual too.

rowemeister said:
Ahhh the old Philips pcb layout. I used to repair those.

Brent

Nostalgia....:)
If I look at how this player is built, for those years it is awesome! I also like the swingarm transport a lot.
One of the players has been used very little :cool:. It looks like new, and the laser is propably good for years to come :D. This is real vintage stuff!

Ray.