Marantz 1070, Loud pop on shutdown

Yep. That's the standard colour scheme. Black for negative.
IMG_1383.JPG

My intention is to modify and install a terminal strip ( riveted or screwed to the chassis ) to accommodate the wires so only one connection to each terminal on the caps. I did not know of those cap rings so thank you for the link and the photos.
If you go with snap-in caps, I would consider making a little circuit board for the caps. Then put screw terminals on the board or solder the wires directly to the board.

Keystone #8191 could maybe work.
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.41.18.png

Tom

UPDATE: The new switch arrived today and I installed it with the existing snubber. In addtion to the power wires I installed the other two wires , red and yellow in colour, to the other two terminals on the switch. The replacement that was removed only had two terminals with the snubber across them. The result is that turning off the unit now does NOT produce the loud pop in the loud speakers as before. Also I can hear the relay click "off" immediately when the unit is turned off. So now that this is behind me , the next step is to replace the two leaky power capacitors.
Thank you all for your contribution to this thread.
Paul

Last edited:
All done now and the amplifer is still working fine. Seems like the bass is tighter. Not the best job but functionally it is fine . Lots of redundancies for the chassis ( gnd) connections as you can see. Also with the terminal strip , should any of those caps need changing it will be a simple matter of desoldeing just two wires at the pins. The inner three terminals are all tied together for the ground. Thanks again eaveryone.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 1 users
If the rectifier diodes were defective would the amplifier still function? Do the diodes degrade with time or do they just go bad instantly?
Rectifier diodes can leak, not just the two options, namely conduction or non-conduction. That was the case, a small reverse current that did not allow the complete charging and discharging of the capacitors in each half cycle. Answering your question, the amplifier may continue to work, but there are abnormalities. They can fail in either of the two ways you mention, due to use, aging, current peaks exceeding its specifications, etc.

How did the caps look visually? One would assume a blow-up.
If there was no blow-up, how did you determine that the caps had failed?
There was no explosion or leakage, they simply recharged twice when the amplifier was turned off, the typical plop you hear in amplifiers without relays. To prevent new problems, the four capacitors were replaced with slightly more capacity. (very little) It was a NAD 3020