Marantz 1070, Loud pop on shutdown

New caps will be smaller in most cases. A lot smaller. You may get a larger one, but 10.000uF are quite sufficient. Maybe there is a version the same diameter, but much shorer. Don't be surprised to find a new 10.000/50 to be just half the volume of the old one...

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be surprised to find a new 10.000/50 to be just half the volume of the old one...
Thank you all. I have noticed that newer caps will be smaller. Surprisingly though, there is a parts kit available on Ebay that includes the power caps and the seller claims the diameter is the same as the originals , but shorter in length. However the values of those caps are 150000uf and 50V which I believe should work without any problems. I ordered a new switch from the same vendor and will give an update after it is installed. A member over in Audiokarma.org was kind to submit a photo of the switch in the amplifier and it does show the two "suspicious" wires attached to it.

IMG_1378.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1381.JPG
Are my labels correct since there were no definitve polarity markings on the power capacitors?

DVM is your friend.
in addition, the polarity must be marked on the envelope of the capacitors or on the metal tab side, sometimes with a triangle, a circle or a square, a black or white dot but it is always indicated, but in all cases, the DVM is your friend.

There should be a red dot (+) or - more commonly - a black dot (-) on the rivets that hold the solder tab on the cap. Sometimes the polarity is indicated by a different texture. If so, it should say on the can which terminal is which.

But ya know... If the amp mostly works, you could also just power it up and measure the voltage across the supply caps. That'll tell you for sure. If I were to guess I'd say that the red wires connect to the (+) terminal of the one cap (V+ supply). That means the white wires would be the V- supply.

Tom