Maplin 100w mosfet amplifier built from 1980 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bone,
125W claimed for a single pair output stage cannot drive speakers.
The most you can expect is to be able to drive a test resistor to that level.

A single pair output stage using two 200W devices can reliably drive an 8ohms speaker to ~100W.
If those output devices are <<200W, then the power capability will be proportionately that much less.

Maplin MOSFET Amp

I found copies of original tech specs. Appears that its performance was much better than I thought:eek: though I had nothing to compare with at the time. I remember it had a fairly "bright" characteristic sound that was probably why many modules ended up in home-made disco-kit. I got tired of my ears ringing and sold the system to a workmate for £75, probably still going strong if it was as bomb-proof as claimed:D

Attachments

• P0.jpg
    P0.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,408
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,128
Hi Nigel,

The tech specs (third page) shows how to add paralleled transistors to output stage to increase the output power. Don't know if anyone actually developed this into a new product. I think your re-vamp with a sprinkle of Self and Cordell circuit up-dates will produce a nice sounding amp module.
Who knows, if we discuss it enough a ready-made clone might appear on eBay;)

steve

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been given 4 each of 2SJ50 and the 2SK135. I was hoping to perhaps build a simple but quite good quality amp for home - I have a 200W toroidal transformer with 24VAC rails (a little light, but I'm not into flogging amps :). I've heard various things about the Crescendo amp from way back - some good, some not; does anyone know of a decent, updated schematic for a low-to-medium powered amp using these transistors? I've no qualms about using them in pairs, so 4 transistors per channel - I'd rather put them to use as our home amp is about to die soon I suspect.

thanks!
much appreciated
Barney in NZ

......... have been given 4 each of 2SJ50 and the 2SK135.......................
Save these for a later stereo (or two monoblocks) 2pair output stage.
Practice with a pair of MUCH cheaper modern equivalents.
Your original 50/135 will be almost impossible to replace and if you find some they will cost you a fortune.
Or
Sell them to the highest bidder who WANTS only Hitachi originals.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been given 4 each of 2SJ50 and the 2SK135. I was hoping to perhaps build a simple but quite good quality amp for home - I have a 200W toroidal transformer with 24VAC rails (a little light, but I'm not into flogging amps :). I've heard various things about the Crescendo amp from way back - some good, some not; does anyone know of a decent, updated schematic for a low-to-medium powered amp using these transistors? I've no qualms about using them in pairs, so 4 transistors per channel - I'd rather put them to use as our home amp is about to die soon I suspect.

thanks!
much appreciated
Barney in NZ

You could use the circuit here replacing the output lateral mosfet.s
http://www.ckp-railways.talktalk.net/maplinlateralmosfet_2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.