• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Making sense of the Aikido calculations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quote:

I don't know. It didn't occur to me to leave parts out.

Sorry SY, I should have posted what I built. I thought R5 and R6 had an effect on gain.

Attachments

• aikido 12sn7 6sn7.gif
    aikido 12sn7 6sn7.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 419
they can be used to affect gain
but not at 100K

they have two purposes

the first is to protect the following valve
should you happen to pull one out
or due to failure

and the second is they reduce distortion
which is only noticeable when you put them in.....

i have tried it both ways
and there is a difference

dave dove

errr... 6922 heaters are 6.3 volts while 12sn7 are 12.6 volts.

should I series the 6922 then parallel them to 12sn7? or make separate 6.3V regs and 12.6 regs?

what's the best approach? safest? of course this heater supply should be lifted above ground, yes? assuming 300V b+ and about 150V between tube sections, must I lift them around 150V?

Thanks
JojoD

SY,

what about the 12sn7? would it be fine as an output tube with 200V only? i'm a bit concerned and just making sure of things before I start drilling my chassis. it's a 6922 (input), 12SN7 (output) arrangement.

with the heater arrangement you posted, does that mean (for example) that I will use 1 6922 as lower tube only - meaning both triodes in that tubes be used for lower triodes, one for each channels? this means I have to provide separate 2X 6.3V and 2X 12.6V heaters then.

thank you very much for putting so much time with my questions.

JojoD

SY,

I guess I better be using tubes that my psu can supply sufficient voltage than to just make ends meet. That way I won't be sacrificing my tubes operating voltages. Lesson learned - my octal Aikido should wait.

burnedfingers,

I was thinking of using a straight 6922 version since I have about 5 pairs of 6922s of different brands.

but when I read Dave's post about using my 12at7 as output tube that made me think again since I have both 6922 and 12at7.

you are right about the gain, even SY warned me of too much gain, I don't need too much gain so lesson learned - stick with low mu tubes. :smash:

help on resistor values for 6922/6DJ8 input -> 12AT7/6201 output configuration please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.