Madisound BK12m

I have had a pair of Fostex 126en drivers in their boxes for a few years. I have a 3-watt EL84 tube amp and I liked the sensitivity of the drivers. But I never ended up building any speakers with them. Now, I have read through a large part of the FH3 thread and I understand that it offers more bass than the BK12. But I do not have options of placing the speakers in corners. At best, I can keep them close to the wall. The room is around 17 feet x 12 feet. I intend to mostly listen to acoustic jazz, blues (again mostly acoustic), some rock and pop (Beatles, Stones, Dylan and other '60s/early '70s stuff). I won't be listening at very loud levels either. In fact, I'll probably use them mostly late at night with a turntable.I certainly can look at buying a suitable subwoofer to augment the sound. So to make a long story short, will the BK12 work for me? Thanks.

Last edited:
So to make a long story short, will the BK12 work for me? Thanks.

From my experience, your application aligns very well with the nature of the BK12m. I keep mine in my main system, but I don't usually use them since I mostly listen to a lot of recordings with Fender Stratocasters, or Gibson Les Pauls, and these speakers don't give those kinds of guitar sounds much body. However, I love them for acoustic recordings of any kind, including drums.

From my experience, your application aligns very well with the nature of the BK12m. I keep mine in my main system, but I don't usually use them since I mostly listen to a lot of recordings with Fender Stratocasters, or Gibson Les Pauls, and these speakers don't give those kinds of guitar sounds much body. However, I love them for acoustic recordings of any kind, including drums.

Thanks! I also have a feeling that the room space I have is perhaps not enough for a FH3

Kingshuk,

Your room size of 17' x 12' is not too small for FH3; I have listened to it in slightly bigger and smaller rooms, and it works fine. No experience with Fostex drivers in the FH3, I tried out with Mark Audio.

Thanks! I was under the impression that a larger room was required.
Dhaka y shob bhalo toh? Apologies to non-Bengali speakers. I just couldn't help myself during these locked-down times :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was under the impression that a larger room was required.

That is more so for the big double mouth horns from Scott on frugal-horn.com and the large ones on the Woden Design site. The 1st because you need to be far enuff away for the widespread mouths to intagrate and the. latter because they can overwelm a smaller room.

dave