MA driver measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your link. I remember that one. Ouch ;)

I answer your questions in the link I posted, but that was at around 1m iirc. Maybe 0.8m. No nearfield splice because I usually opt for GP splice and don't feel the A6 and FF85 (the two drivers I measured at the time) are worth using for LF so I left that out. The gate F is noted on the graph at 150hz which is selected based on the first reflection. I keep the gate just inside that reflection about 0.25ms iirc. The nearest reflection was about 1.7m away iirc. All in that link if you wanted to know.

BTW. I'm ryanbouma over on TT so you might recognize me ;)

Good to see ya :)
Well, then you know that you can't really complain about BSC not build in because most of the magnitude below 1000hz is affected by diffraction. So, you can't really post a half as.sed data and cry about it.
Having said that, manufacturers like to show off their stuff as an a favorable light. I didn't think 10.2 was a disaster, just not my thing. I wouldn't hesitate using it as a largish mid.

BTW, I hope everyone spent some quality time with Troels' treatise on microphone mounting.
Bob

dlr was chewing me off on PETT recently.
I have run a comparison and ultimately, diffraction from the mic clip is present in an average measurements but it's fairly small.
attachment.php

attachment.php

pay attention to the db

Last edited:
I'd disagree its diffraction below 1khz on such a small baffle. It's transitioning from half to full space. Mark specifically claims there is a hump below about 800hz and I don't see this in 3rd party measurements. It's ok if you think my data is half as sed but I think its adequate to show there is not built in BSC (as claimed by the manufacturer) and that the FR varies from Mark's. Just because I didn't take a nearfield doesn't change that.

I agree the mic clip isn't that significant.

just bring the mic .25" to the driver, open the gate to 300-500msc and give a long MLS. Let's see what it does, really. The "build in" BSC that everyone is taking about should show up as a raised response from 800hz or so down to lower limit of the driver.
Oh I didn't mean to come across as an as.s. Half ***.ed was more of a half spaced reference. :p

Last edited:
No problem.

Unfortunately the drivers are on to a better place as one of them was attacked by a rat. Just left my house a couple hours ago. I didn't bother with the nearfield cause I wouldn't use that driver below 300hz personally. And originally I grabbed the response just to get a feel what it could do. Typically I get a lot more detailed info. And usually I do GP because of ports. That test box was sealed though, so ya, in hindsight for the little effort it would have taken...

Jesus. That's a new one. Did you have the drive Enabled with peanut butter?

To answer that on Ryan's behalf, they were still bone stock, but the survivor has a mate awaiting - single orphaned from a consignment built small 5.1 system a while back.
And FWIW, I'd not be quite as cautious with them as to use them only above 300, but then I'm not a card carrying member of the full-body immersion HT club

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.