LX mini quest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do know Pluto have xo at 800 Hz...
And this about xo 700 Hz:
"The spectrum between 50 Hz and 10 kHz is evenly divided on an octave basis by a 700 Hz crossover.
If the range were defined as 50 to 12,800Hz (8 octaves) then 1kHz would be in the middle.:confused:

Thanks, but there should be a better reason somewhere.

Other conventional wisdom says that there should be no crossover within the base tones of the human voice, so not above 250Hz or so.

True ,could not agree more.....Please if you find more on subject let me know.
It is a quite difference between passive and active crossovers . You are talking about active crossover,don't you ?

I don't distinguish here between passive and active. However, crossing <250Hz means large, costly or inferior parts. Is that what you mean?
Wouldn't 800hz is closer to the middle, as there are 4 octaves above and below that frequency?
Yes. My bad. Don't drink and post.:rolleyes:
50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800.

The woofer is the same as for Pluto-2, and was specifically made for Mr. Linkwitz. Model:
Seas L16RN-SL (H1480-08). Could be that no 8" was better and that Seas did not want to create another special item. Pure speculation though. We might stop here...

Last edited:
I think it all leaves no choice but to build the LX Mini exactly as SL intended it. With that as a reference all other options could be explored to one's hearts desire. I had the good fortune to attend many of the Burning Amp gatherings and listen at length with SL. He was always very very generous in sharing his knowledge, which far exceeds mine. My only quibble was the occasional thickening of what I thought was mid bass. It might have been from over-excursion at high volumes but a friend swears it was more from the subs. I am a firm believer in subs for <60Hz. For the moment I will save my pennies and honor the masters design.

For the moment I will save my pennies and honor the masters design.

Congratulations with making wright decision and it is really god choice:)
Completing build you own lx mini´s will have a solid reference point .
Live with that ,enjoy a music.,which is main point to all hifi projects ...learn strong and week points and after same time you will see how to shape your Lx mini to your full satisfactory.

I doesn't matter loudspeaker design ,price range or manufacture all of them are compromises.
Good or not so good ones

Last edited:
Gin8330- I love your project! I have never built a speaker before and have been looking at the LxMini+2, for my first build. However, your version looks like it may offer better sound quality, even if it will not get down to 20hz. I did have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have more pictures that you can upload? That montage is nice but it is difficult to see the details.

2) Have you actually heard the LXmini, to know your version it is better, OR are you going off of the fact that you specifications are better?

3) How would you describe the highs on this? ( I am a Bowers diamond tweeter guy, and love the sound- although they dialed the hi-pass up a little too high IMO)

Thanks in advance, and again- very impressive work and evolution of the concept!

Gin8330- I love your project! I have never built a speaker before and have been looking at the LxMini+2, for my first build. However, your version looks like it may offer better sound quality, even if it will not get down to 20hz. I did have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have more pictures that you can upload? That montage is nice but it is difficult to see the details.

2) Have you actually heard the LXmini, to know your version it is better, OR are you going off of the fact that you specifications are better?

3) How would you describe the highs on this? ( I am a Bowers diamond tweeter guy, and love the sound- although they dialed the hi-pass up a little too high IMO)

Thanks in advance, and again- very impressive work and evolution of the concept!
Answers to:
1.post #67 was posted same photos with montage details.
2. I have build original Lx mini from the begining post #1 and all this thread it is about frustration and correcting original design.
3.I hope you are taking about my Lx mini build....as you can see principal is the same(minus enclosure design) as B&W 802 Diamond.
Not really like to describe sound it is very personal experience... But tweeter is very natural and satisfactory to best of my listening sessions on highest end speaker systems i have heard.

I have a pair of LXMini clones, that I want to try out your 2.5 system on, before deciding to do a full sub version. Actually I look at my Beolab 5, and think would that be a nice design of a integrated sub for the LX mini. The tube could be internally. Anyway, reading your notes I have noted:
You run them on separate amps with 2 different xo. 160 hz LP on the lower woofer and 700 hz LP on the top. I assume both are LR2. Polarity is the same. What about output settings, any lower/higher output or do they run the same?

I have a pair of LXMini clones.........
You run them on separate amps with 2 different xo. 160 hz LP on the lower woofer and 700 hz LP on the top. I assume both are LR2. Polarity is the same. What about output settings, any lower/higher output or do they run the same?

Hej, picture will do more then 100 words :)
Untitled-1.png
Answers:
1."2 different xo. 160 hz LP" ..living daily with speakers and taking a account my listening room conditions... not see real benefit in 2xo..because my woofer 8" drivers and are two of those ,speaker design allow to run free 1xo from 25 Hz to 1800 Hz.
I have free choice choosing xo point ,with out sacrificing sound quality.
2. "I assume both are LR2" -this more for 2 way design ,because tweeter polarity is reversed. Im using LR 4 xo. As you can see my LX version is more 3 way design.
3."What about output settings, any lower/higher output or do they run the same?" Sorry misunderstood a question... Do you mean like the same dB levels ? If that ,answer is yes.

Planing to make same changes at same point:
1.Get right of mid-range drivers( full range in original SL design) reflection design (very high EQ in LF) and make closed enclose,I'm sure will benefit in sound quality.
My measuring haven't show huge benefit from that reflection ,only increases more problems to sound radiation.
Driver I have used has really god radiation pattern with no baffle around it.
2.Get dipole tweeter.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick reply.
I assumed you had separate amp to the top/bottom woofers, and hence different xo and perhaps also volume. But in parallel they are fed exactly the same signal.

Nevertheless I have 4 amps per channel, so I will try out different settings on the woofers.

Substantial changes in SL’s design you are planning. I think the very wide and precise sound stage is a direct result of the single fr driver. Getting 2 or more drivers to fuse together from 300 hz and up is not trivial. Good luck! and thank you for the inspiration on improving the lxmini.

Thanks for quick reply.
I assumed you had separate amp to the top/bottom woofers, and hence different xo and perhaps also volume. But in parallel they are fed exactly the same signal.

Nevertheless I have 4 amps per channel, so I will try out different settings on the woofers.

Substantial changes in SL’s design you are planning. I think the very wide and precise sound stage is a direct result of the single fr driver. Getting 2 or more drivers to fuse together from 300 hz and up is not trivial. Good luck! and thank you for the inspiration on improving the lxmini.

You very much welcome,
happy to share ...

1."I assumed you had separate amp to the top/bottom woofers"...have had such configuration as well (using Neutrik NL8MPR-BAG ) so can connect each driver separately. End up with set up like in drawing #113.
2."Getting 2 or more drivers to fuse together from 300 hz and up is not trivial." I was happy let it go woofer up to 1300 Hz :) and middle range drive sink to 700 Hz.. It was nice reflections from sealing and walls .
Ads host effect (wider stage,make speakers vanish ) to sound over all.
3."Nevertheless I have 4 amps per channel, so I will try out different settings on the woofers"..please don't forget to share your experience there thread..very much existed about your findings .

Thank you for participating

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.