• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

low power bedroom amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Browsing this forum (also did a "flea power amp" search) but could not find a suitable amplifier to build for my bedroom.
I think about 5W output power is more than enough and because I have 4 0A2 stab tubes in stock I am intended to use a 150V supply.
Any ideas to realize this are most welcome. :)

5W at 150V of plate supply will be a hard gig - you're pretty much limited to low-voltage high-current tubes. Those tend to have low amplification factor, so separate negative bias supply is needed (and with a healty voltage - 50 to 100V probably), and a good voltage swing from a driver is required too (which is also hard to do at low plate voltage, at least without interstage transformer).

Or do you mean 150V regulated screen voltage and some "normal" (~300V) unregulated plate voltage?

5W at 150V of plate supply will be a hard gig - you're pretty much limited to low-voltage high-current tubes. Those tend to have low amplification factor, so separate negative bias supply is needed (and with a healty voltage - 50 to 100V probably), and a good voltage swing from a driver is required too (which is also hard to do at low plate voltage, at least without interstage transformer).

Or do you mean 150V regulated screen voltage and some "normal" (~300V) unregulated plate voltage?

yes, I am aware of this tough problems and yes, I do need a good output transformer. So no OTL design is ment.
But perhaps 1W (or less?) into 8 ohm is enough for a bedroom?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
Nothing wrong with running the output stage at 250 VDC (happy spot) and your signal stage can run at 150VDC. You don't need to regulate the the outputs at all. In fact, going P-P with 6BQ5 will give you a little more power, nicer sound and just generally a happy amplifier. With the first stages regulated, expect very low noise / hum.

Sounds like you are on the way to making one heck of a nice little amplifier. The extra headroom will be welcome and a P-P output will draw less power than anything single ended at those power levels (5 watts).

The best part is, there are many really high quality 6BQ5 P-P designs out there. Adding the regulated signal stage will be a big improvement on them.

-Chris

Russian 6p43p-e may be a good choice, as would the 6AS7. Go push pull and the output stage needs no regulation- just filtering.

150 volt supply would give 7-8 watts out of a single bottle with the 6AS7.

EL86, 6W6, 50L6, etc types would all be good too.

Last edited:
ECL82 is your goto for a flea powered amp. Forget your 5w requirement - you really only need 1-2W and this can be achieved well with the ECL82 and a low B+.
6AS7 can produce 7watts at 150V in PP, but its heavy lifting with lots of Iron so I would advise against it for a small bedroom amp.

Its better to go for flea powered in this scenario and rethink your speakers than to try to up your wattage.

----

I used to have a little SE ECL82 amp as my bedroom map and it sounded really well. i also had a E55L SE bedroom amp which sounded even better. However I now have a small gainclone with SMPS in the same roll. The reason I switched is because I can leave the gainclone on all the time for negligible power wastage which allows my Kodi box to act as an alarm clock and a go to sleep radio which switches off after a set amount of time (ie when I fall asleep). This was the painful thing about my Bedroom valve amps - you had to get out of bed to switch them on and off.

Shoog

Last edited:
Browsing this forum (also did a "flea power amp" search) but could not find a suitable amplifier to build for my bedroom.
I think about 5W output power is more than enough and because I have 4 0A2 stab tubes in stock I am intended to use a 150V supply.
Any ideas to realize this are most welcome. :)

PP 6FE5s. PP KT55s if you can find some Or KT33. 7W on 150V supply no problem.:)

Attachments

• 6FE5 p1.jpg
    6FE5 p1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 6FE5 p2.jpg
    6FE5 p2.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 540
  • KT33C.pdf
    217.7 KB · Views: 54
  • KT55 Marconi.pdf
    850.8 KB · Views: 43
You can probably squeeze a couple of pentode watts from the EL82 or EL84 into ~3k load at 150V with self-bias. Combine this with high-mu driver to have some room for GNFB, and you might have a decent amp.

does make a real good decent amp..... even without NFB.... Just use one of them Hammond air-gapped O/T's... simple recipe for some really high-end sounding tone....

I know for our bedroom a small form factor would be a must, not much dresser or nightstand space. So maybe something built with all 7 pin miniature sockets? 6AQ5 comes to mind, its a 6V6 mini, maybe with a 6N1P input stage and concertina Splitter. A couple of smaller Edcors and an Antek torroid for power they are more compact. For some fun a small 8 inch solid state subwoofer under the bed, then you could cut the amp off at 70 hz to open up some nice midrange headroom for the speakers and smaller OPTs that wont have to deal with bass power levels.

Last edited:
+1 on the small Edcor. The benefit og flea power is partly in the small OPT with lower parasitic C and L. No benefit in going oversize on the OPT.
I kind of disagree on the need for a sub. I have never needed one with my flea amps. Less is more...

Last edited:
Since having a sub I would never go back, I even built a small one for the bedroom which sits in a cupboard. Fills out the sound no end and releases the main amp to do more at the top end.
A decent sub can be built with a €10.00 chinese digital sub amp with variable crossover and a 4" bass driver.

Shoog

Many many thanks guys for all your valuable suggestions!!
Much appreciated. Will carefully look at all of them to see if this will result in a first design attempt.
Up to this moment I was only designing amps for headphone use.
In the meantime when I was browsing this forum for ideas and before starting this one, I have completely overlooked this thread:

Low Voltage (60V) Stereo Tube Amplifier for Dummies (2+2W)

Will carefully read it.

But please, keep coming with your selections. :yes:

+1 on the small Edcor. The benefit og flea power is partly in the small OPT with lower parasitic C and L. No benefit in going oversize on the OPT.
I kind of disagree on the need for a sub. I have never needed one with my flea amps. Less is more...

At low listening levels of a bedroom amp, for me at least, bass notes simply disappear. If no sub then maybe a loudness control would be great for a bedroom amp. With a wife and impending sleep I mean we are talking about very low listening levels, not enough to excite any speaker in the bass range adequately. Human ears are the least linear at low volume levels on top of a speaker not moving any air for bass notes.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
A P-P circuit uses smaller output transformers and cancels hum. These are popular and probably less expensive to build while having lower distortion than a single ended.

There is a good reason why they moved to P-P designs in the late 20's and 30's. You don't have to use the power, and low power running will simply provide cleaner sound and lower distortion.

-Chris

WHY would you limit to 150V supply?
because I have 4 0A2 stab tubes in stock I am intended to use a 150V supply.
So what?
I know NO amplifier with 150V regulated power supply and in any case the current they manage is useless for any power amp needs.
99.99999999% of power amps do NOT use 0A2 regulators anyway, in any capacity, there must be a reason for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.