Love the sound of a fullranger but I like Hard Rock!! What to do !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sensitivity

Some people feed FE103 by headphone amp. I tried FF105 and it not works. FF105 needs smal power, but real power amplifer. It is not so sensitive.
First time I was thinking about FE103. But many people say, that is it speaker for jazz and with rock and metal it has big problems. So I selected FF series.
Next tip was FF85 as best of all. But it has no bass. FF105 is compromise in size and deep of bass and I must sas - it was right choice.

I just finished my kit.
I enjoyed building very much.
The most time I spend by searching how to install damping inside. Picture should help me.
Sound is Excellent and natural. I was listen with open mouth. It plays 3D. The space is the best I heard. As there are no speakers-just music in the air. The bass is less, but is there some! Who needs more, so must use subwoofer. I have old active Creative subwoofer with integrated amp 2x8 watt. So I connected it. I can now mute subwoofer as I need and I do it so. Some old metal songs need more bass, so I just volume up the subwoofer. Warning - this speaker is directional. Off axe I miss trebles. The best is, when center of speaker is in height of my ears. So I will add stand. Super is, that speakers play music at ultra low volumes still perfect. It is very important, because I have them in office to O2DAC. I love it.

I will add some photos.
You play it from a headphone amp ?
Wow !

Thats a bass reflex cabinet, right ?
But, the they say it won't be appropriate in my case.

A small recap!!

TBPH, before creating this thread I was planning to..
1. Get a pair of Bob Brines transmissionline speakers using my friends help (he said he can buy the plans and get a pair of Alpair 10 drivers from his uncle's place to make it a reality).
2. Make two sealed subs with Peerless 12" sub-woofer using the Dayton Audio plate amps with speaker level input for <100hz

BUT, my listening room have a big opening with a staircase and the bass was "leaking" through it. Two forum members then advised me to go for the open baffle style and here I am.

I like hard nipples.
Copy that :D:D:D

Some people feed FE103 by headphone amp. I tried FF105 and it not works. FF105 needs smal power, but real power amplifer. It is not so sensitive.
First time I was thinking about FE103. But many people say, that is it speaker for jazz and with rock and metal it has big problems. So I selected FF series.
Next tip was FF85 as best of all. But it has no bass. FF105 is compromise in size and deep of bass and I must sas - it was right choice.

What about FF125 WK ?
On paper (the specs), it looks like a formidable driver to me.

BTW, I was talking to my friend about this open baffle project and he recommended to use big 15" drivers from the Indian PA speakers manufacturer, Ahuja.
Ahuja Sound Solutions

Can you guys help me select a suitable driver from their site ?

How about this.
Ahuja Sound Solutions

EDIT:
Speakers and other stuff from Ahuja is very cheap. Thats why my friend is recommending it.

Last edited:
What about FF125 WK ?
On paper (the specs), it looks like a formidable driver to me.

When on a business trip in Japan I was able to listen to the whole FF-WK series in their ready made factory cabinets.

I found the FF125WK in essence as good as the 105, yet with a bit more bass and slightly fuller sounding lower frequencies. So I bought them for our bedroom system.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We have used the FF85wk with good results. FF105wk should be a good candidate too.

dave

The FF105WK is indeed live sounding. Here is how it meausures in my FAST (XO at 225Hz) - a sealed spiral Nautaloss TL. The blue is without EQ and black is with EQ, to my ears sounds much more balanced. The EQ also got rid of the 7.5kHz ringing.

470449d1425854690-love-sound-fullranger-but-i-like-hard-rock-what-do-image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 825
When on a business trip in Japan I was able to listen to the whole FF-WK series in their ready made factory cabinets.

I found the FF125WK in essence as good as the 105, yet with a bit more bass and slightly fuller sounding lower frequencies. So I bought them for our bedroom system.
Cool !

May be I should go for a really sensitive FH or a transmissionline speaker for my bedroom (and a quality LM3886 or even a class A amp) and use my PC (in the PC room) just for movies and of course, gaming :)
For OB, there's no such thing as too much displacement, just a point of diminishing returns, so at least one and preferably two, of these/channel, then EQ ~flat in room down to at least Fs: Ahuja Sound Solutions

GM
Wow !
That weighs 20 Kgs :D
But doesn't those big drivers..."slow" ?

Anyway, their speaker drivers used to be very costeffective.
I'll check with their dealer and report back.

The FF105WK is indeed live sounding. Here is how it meausures in my FAST (XO at 225Hz) - a sealed spiral Nautaloss TL. The blue is without EQ and black is with EQ, to my ears sounds much more balanced. The EQ also got rid of the 7.5kHz ringing.

470449d1425854690-love-sound-fullranger-but-i-like-hard-rock-what-do-image.jpg
Very cool !:)

So, drivers with high Qts is needed for Open Baffle speakers ?

Contrary to popular myth, no. Not exactly. What counts for more is the mass-corner. The problem is that there aren't very many low Q bass drivers around these days with a sufficiently low F0 to produce much bass on a baffle. So a higher Q driver with a naturally under-damped IB response can help correct for baffle losses without needing [as much] Eq. A low Q driver of the same F0 will need equalising as it will be naturally over-damped. If Eq is available in the first place, providing there's sufficient power handling & excursion available in the bass drivers, I'd take the latter option every time.

FWIW, personally I'd like to spread all EQ requirements into several 'stages' - a little in digital, more in line level, some between amp and driver, as much as I can in acoustics.

OB bass need a LOT of compensation, you'll need every drop of helps.

I myself use low Q woofers (by accident), high impedance drive helps quite a lot.

Wow :superman:
Great work there !:)

So, it a 3 way ?

Hi eljoantonyn,

No it's a 2.1 System where the size of the OB is ~W=46 cm x H=~70cm placed 42 cm above the floor.

Use a 12 dB/octave FAST arrangement for the OB's.

The T-TQWT should be folded by making the Total H=~104 cm W=~25 cm and D=~49 cm.

Hearing Localization Cues in your Room from such a Sub is minimal.

Place (hide) anywhere (at the rear,side or in the front) where the Box isn't showing visual attention but of course never too close to an OB.

b :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.