Love the sound of a fullranger but I like Hard Rock!! What to do !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Build BIBs!

Agreed, this was going to be my suggestion. Glad to see someone finally did a PA driver loaded pipe horn 'sub' like I've been periodically suggesting even before the BIB came along and if one needs output above its 3rd harmonic, then restrict it with a vent. Maybe now folks will give it a try or its tapped horn variant if only 2 - 3 octaves of usable BW is required.

GM

for LF, I have the following custom toy with offset driver but not yet played with it - instead of pro, its got a cheap Infinity 1260W and should be good from a bit below 20 to 100 xover as a helper

Grsk1az.jpg

it arrived in good shape - but when hooking up = "silence" a wire had pulled loose from a crimped spade terminal - all I have is cheap copper clad aluminum wire to extend the leads - better do it soon before all the front panel screws get lost - here's the graph from its "maker" - the aperture's edges as expected had to have a roundover to reduce chuffing on test tones - I expect in practice and with music that it will do fine (it weighs close to 120lb - heavy for a little plywood cabinet)

0vxhgqq.png

Last edited:
If it's low-passed @ 80Hz

I low-passed them at 80Hz to test the driver in a BIB. I wanted to see if there was enough loading to limit excursion at high power-levels, and there was. The drivers did not sound bad, but i could hear the amp clip with peak output power around 900 watts (bridged QSC RMX1450) I guess that the average power level was around 500 watts or so.
This was to determine if BIBs could be used for professional use in (home) theatres, dance-clubs etc. I can't imagine many dance-club (indoors) that would not instantly increase sound quality ten-fold by running a couple of B&C 15NW100 in BIBs as their main bassbins.
My comparably small low Xmax 10PS26 outclass bassreflex-loaded 18 inch pro drivers with ease in everything but pure spl, and even there they are not far behind.

I low-pass filter them at 1000 Hz 6dB/octave for daily use.

regards,
Johannes

@ freddi, Thanks a lot for the measurement. It's awesome.

About the hiccup at 110-120Hz, I guess it could be cured (of adjusted) by the shape of aperture. It's time (& material) consuming for such a big baffle, though. Anyway, now the upper range is already very good for a 'tapped' horn.

@ Circlomanen, Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering how the loading is like in a real BIB.

I've run some crude simulations in hornresp. They all show excursion-limited when I run Max SPL function. Even in many front loaded horns I've sim'ed (with sealed small rear chamber) are excursion-limited -- Xmax runs out before the thermal power limit.

So I'm sort of stunned seeing your BIB can take that much power.

I've run some crude simulations in hornresp. They all show excursion-limited when I run Max SPL function

Even if you choose 0,5 pi radiation angle in Hornresp, you will still not get the right response. I always guesstimate a last segment simulating the expansion one gets from the corner and all the way out to the outer edge of the actual box.

It will usually be something like 3000 cm2 to 15000 cm and 60 - 80 cm long section. With this section added, the simulated response will be much more similar to actual measured response.

If you place a BIB in the middle of the room, the cone displacement will increase a lot due to less acoustic loading.

Cheers,
Johannes

If it's low-passed @ 80Hz, how about a tapped horn? How do they compare, sound quality-wise ?

I've only auditioned a few DSL THs mated to their SH50 Synergy horns in a very large, open, concrete wall, floor section of a warehouse and they were as 'tight', etc., as any [ML]TL, BP, pipe horn I've built, but don't know how much DSP was used.

Others experience has been similar, though one claimed they aren't as good as a proper FLH, but then they are much larger, so not surprised. Note that SPLs were at live levels except for some movie LFE of course, yet not a hint of 'discord' down to at least 16 Hz.

GM

The only single driver full range that I've heard with 'guts' is the Audio Nirvana 15". But it's best in a big box and the driver is expensive by the time you pay for shipping.

I'm going to suggest a different approach for your consideration.

Two sets of speakers.

a) full range like your friends which 'blew you away' for listening at normal levels
b) a multi-way for party time ! (get this set from eBay or wherever suits you)

This way there's less compromise, in fact you can tune each set to be great at what they do best.

re: tapped pipe with inverted "T" aperture - I think that's pretty good for the high mass polycone Infinity 1260W woofer

look at 1260W (purple and green traces) in a generic BP4 with very little front chamber
pbp112.jpg

BAhr2iB.gif

vs 1260W in

TB46's tapped pipe design - I would guess at these frequencies that this aperture is probably more ornamental than functional -
0vxhgqq.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.