Looking for SS Phono Preamp

without A-weighting and assuming that the RIAA correction curve is approximately -20 dB/decade over the entire audio band
Yes. This is a rough approximation. 75 um and 25 nm are found as peak values.
My concern is the absolute noise found at -48dbfs related to 2.1v full scale...
What is noise and where is it found?

Reactions: 1 user
I want to chime in here and second the idea of the Pete Milett phono pre. Long story skipped, I built two of these. I had issues with hum from the power supply which turned out to be my fault. The simple answer was to put the power supply in a separate chassis. In many ways, I find this phono pre kit to be satisfying. I have however built another kit which eclipses the Pete Millett product, but of course, it cost more to make. It is a design by John Broskie of Glassware audio, called the Aikido phono pre (an 8 tube unit, so the power supply is beefy and uses two different transformers). I think that it is the second version. I personally found it to be a real pain to make, but I cannot argue the outcome. I did a single chassis unit, and it is quiet as a mouse.

Hope that this is on track with the original post. One more thing. The PM phono pre does not have the RIAA accuracy that you might want. The Aikido, I cannot say, and I'm not sure if it is posted on the Glassware website.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
If that noise is supposed to come from the record, then it becomes -68 dBFS when you reduce the recording level by 20 dB. The signal-to-noise ratio just stays essentially the same as long as the ADC's noise doesn't dominate.
I just deleted a long message when I realised you have a point here.Sometimes simple logic evades me...you can remove the clicks and pops in software but then, don't you have to consider the phono preamp SNR too?