Looking for Krell KAV-400Xi schematic / service manual

Hi,

Wishing to noted down the stock capacitors used by krell and looking at the preamp coupling bipolar 47uf 25v, can anyone share what mfgr name made them ? Tks !

20230915_111115.jpg

Corrected Krell KAV-400xi recap list

View attachment 1209354
Updated caps list with stock ones since removed and can do so for reference by all since I was up in arms during initial days to try find suitable until the quest ended with choice of hybrid polymer ones with both high temperature as well as low leakage like Al thru hole ones unlike stock polymer ones but yet even lower overall ESR than Al thru hole ones albeit at higher frequencies.

Some SMD ones marked? can only be speculated to be Nichicon and also by eliminating with available values and sizes of various series ... there are no series marking but only lot code, capacitance value and voltage rating.

Cheers,

1694759513080.png

Hi,

Wishing to noted down the stock capacitors used by krell and looking at the preamp coupling bipolar 47uf 25v, can anyone share what mfgr name made them ? Tks !

View attachment 1213269
Can this be some exotic russian capacitor Пc brand that Krell somehow reached out to and hence so difficult to find ?

I only managed to copy out Cyrillic П as it is similar to the russian 6h23П-eb tubes used in my earlier Audible Illusion L3A and current L3B preamp that all just typed out as 6h23n-eb .. lol !

Cheers,

Interesting NIC 85c coupling cap in preamp pcba while krell uses nichcion sme 85c not unexpected in power pbca ..

Tried again in vain to know which NIC series this dark blue capacitor belongs to but Krell must have their reason for SQ consideration ... NIC only has NNR NP series in black color today but this dark blue NIC NP 47uf 25v cannot be a popular one since no reference found at all 🤔🤔🤔

Hi, For the lack of better words but believe below on this rather not VFM exercise due to outside repair shop payable and expensive mundorf elytic power caps says it all:

• More beefy
  • Energetic and focused
  • Vocal also having more body

More importantly, having this unique blue leds and high temp version with associated chosen capacitors does gives me satisfaction ... fingercrossed that even without added Noctua fan that I will stiĺl consider but without pwm temp control that robs SQ, it will last another 1-2 decade for the next owner of my younger brother or son in their new apt just bought and moving/moved to 🥳

Expects some improvement after these initial 1-2 hrs and if nothing gives way in early stages after this recap due to the not so easy to handle smd ones 🤞🤞

Thanks again for all the help rendered and hope shared info will also help other kav-400xi owners.

Cheers.

"New" Krell kav-400xi with "old" unplayed Merlin TSM-MMM for 6 yrs after 1 week:

1. Takedake Track 6 - spacious, good depth. Bass roll off pretty fast.

2. Jennifer Warnes - The Panther. High extension is present, it was lacking in the initial few days. Vocal is intimate.

3. Telarc Spectacular - John William’s Star War. Very good separation between the winds and the strings. Triangle dings clearly. Percussion is controlled. Again, the depth is pretty amazing.

4. In the Mood for Love OST - Yumeji’s Theme. Nice articulation of the violin. Good timbre & texture.

5. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9. Good dynamics without losing on details. Good control. 👏🏻

Enjoying every single bit of it 🥳

Reactions: 1 user
Hi goog,

Oops .. had not ventured to ops amp mod as yet and need to order socket to do so ... I am satisfied with current SQ at this juncture and not very motivated to do this yet

If I will to proceed, it will be LME49710 since I have good experience for more detail and cleaner sound and it is not too demanding to work well ... I am not capable to know what are the needed changes in other components to ensure best performance 🥲

Should you have any past experience or planned mod, pls do not hesitate to advise.

Cheers.

Finally fitted noctura LS-pwm fan on Sorbothane footers inside chassis .. gave up temp control plan, pwm controller, Krell's12v remote etc. in view of accoustic noise beyond my expertise and went for simplistic cooling and manual switch of any external 12v adaptor .. in addition to up rated temp components except preferred 85 deg C nichicon ES caps for input coupling in not too temp critical upper pbca.

Sending cover to sandblast and brushed polishing to end this fun project ... the end and cheers.

20240122_182425.jpg
Screenshot_20240122-221526_WhatsApp.jpg
20240122_222810.jpg
20240122_221851.jpg
20240122_221747.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately Krell's built in remote 12v trigger when switched on max out at only 30mA instead of typical 50 or 100mA to power this nice quiet fan.

To avoid external adaptor not on any concern on aesthetics since hardly noticable but needing to be switched on separately as well as plugged in, next will be to build 3.5mm phono to dc plug to try out if current running in low noise mode at 900 rpm will draw than less typical 33mA while noting max of 50mA presumably during fan start up and non low noise mode at 1200 rpm.🤞🤞

20240123_075642.jpg
20240123_075730.jpg

Screenshot_20240123-082201_Chrome.jpg

Ultra low noise Noctua fan installed additionally with dc jack and newly polished n anodised top cover to rid scratches ... end of this project on 17 yrs old krell kav-400xi integrated amp refurbishment with high temp caps and upsized mundorf caps, blue led/display as well as new top cover .. had been fun one and ready for next owner 🥳🥳

PS: OCD and change out top cover screws to good old philips head ones 😅

20240127_103802.jpg