Looking for a good not expensive streamer

Wake this up again.

Has Sonore Ultrarendu etc been discussed?

I did a run off between IFI Zen Streamer and Sonore Ultrarendu USB to a Gustard U18 reclocker and into my DAC(s), a couple of months ago.

Ultrarendu cost a chunk more, esp with the Reclocker but it was better to my ears than the IFI.

I have had a few lock ups in Bubble UPnP android app, but not enough to stop me using it.

This solution certain betters Rpi / Allo Kali reclocker and modded Chromecast.

While my Volumio streamer works fine, it's very finicky to get it going again when you move to another location with another WiFi network.
I do that often for a sort of travelling show.
Does anyone know of a streamer that would work without WiFi, controlled from a smartphone over bluetooth?

Jan
Welcome back, Jan! You were missed.

Reactions: 3 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well I finally got the infamous Ifi Zen Stream. A hardware revision 1.0 but price was OK so let’s see how terrible it really is :) Having a weak spot for black swans and underdogs I thought I just had to try it out. Besides that I promised it here.

Setup via the app and wireless was unusual with an error but it only took 1 minute to configure via wired ethernet. Not a serious issue but we have to be strict don’t we!?

First impression is that it sounds great. That is with the original honky tonky SMPS adapter but there was an Ipower X 15V included to try out later. Of course it will also be tried out with a linear PSU as most SMPS are 666.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I agree about how the Volumio is finicky to get started. It amounts to several restarts, doing the same thing each time until it finally functions. And don’t forget to eject your thumbdrive prior to any shutdown, failing to do that sequence correctly will not only cost you the loss of all files, but will usually brick the drive as well.

So yeah, “finicky” is putting it mildly…

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I agree about how the Volumio is finicky to get started. It amounts to several restarts, doing the same thing each time until it finally functions. And don’t forget to eject your thumbdrive prior to any shutdown, failing to do that sequence correctly will not only cost you the loss of all files, but will usually brick the drive as well.

So yeah, “finicky” is putting it mildly…
Exactly my experience. And I don't think Volumio will put any effort in fixing it - they have a new product now and that always means that the previous is no longer maintained.

I solved that as follows. I have an old router that comes up as an access point when switched on, and which is connected to the Primo with a short Ethernet cable. The Primo can then be found by the phone/tablet by connecting to the access point.
You can then tell the Primo to connect to the network you want to work on.
This works everytime when I go to another location and have to set it up again.

Jan

Reactions: 1 user
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Next episode. I really got fed up with my Volumio Primo, almost impossible to set it up again if you go from one place to another.
The way I read it, when it gets powered up at a location with an unknown network (where it has not previously been connected to) it should turn into an access point, you can then get into it and tell it the new network and password.
But that almost never works that way. I tried out all possible permutations of settings with AP and WiFi connectivity to no avail.
I always had to connect it to a router via Ethernet to access it and tell it where to connect to.
I even got an extra router that would create an access point and that would connect to the Primo via Ethernet just for the setup. A nuisance.
And with a new model brought out, the chances that this will be fixed are less than zero.

Then I realised that the units that never have such an issue are either 1) well designed software-wise or 2) can be accessed via BT and then told where to connect to.

Last week I read Stuart Yanigers' AudioXpress review of the new WiiM Pro, and something clicked in my head. Here is a simple, low-cost ($180) streamer that does bit-perfect streaming to S/PDIF coax and opto (Stuarts graphs bottomed out at -160dB distortion!) and can be setup with BT. The analog output (it has a simple DAC) isn't great but with the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs R, who cares?
One day for Amazon BE to get me a unit and all my troubles (well, audio-wise) are gone.

Volumio Primo, eat you heart out!

Jan

Reactions: 1 user