Lm4702

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem with the LM4702 is that the voltage between the Sink and Source pins is limited to 6-7V. I have gotten as much as 6.7V between the pins but I haven't tried something like this. Still, I don't see how I can get more voltage since it seems to be a limitation of the LM4702. Thanks for the circuit.

-SL

Lama, I honestly don't know what you are talking about. I get full voltage swings out of my chips both with the sink and source independent and tied together.

If you can't get full +/- 65V out of these chips, there is more than likely something wrong with your chip! I can't immediately think why you would only be getting 6-7V. Could you post a schematic of your setup or testing system?

-----PS You aren't talking about 6-7 mA of CURRENT are you??

LM4702+MOSFET / Bipolar Transistor

LM4702 AMP Module...

LM4702+2SJ201/2SK1530 (MOSFET )
driver: 2SA1930/2SC5171

LM4702+2SA1943/2SC5200 (Bipolar Transistor)

Attachments

• m-4702.jpg
    m-4702.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,289
To run those boards with a LM4702 you will need an intermediate driver stage. The LM4702 only has about 5mA of output current so not enough to directly drive a BJT output stage unless not planning on much output current. If you used FETs on those boards (possible since the space is there for a gate resistor) then you would still need a driver stage to get good slew rate (>15V/us) and the extra current would be very helpful for driving 3 devices in parallel.

Don't get too stuck on the LM4702. It is a great part but National has mono version coming very soon that have much higher current drive that may eliminate the need for a driver stage for some designs. The new parts probably won't eliminate the driver stage for a 3 device ouptut stage. You would want the current gain to run high power. Granted, you don't have to stuff those boards with 3 devices, could use just one or two. Then if FETs you could drive them pretty good without a driver stage for power ranges in the 100W - 150W area.

-SL

SpittinLLama said:
Don't get too stuck on the LM4702. It is a great part but National has mono version coming very soon that have much higher current drive that may eliminate the need for a driver stage for some designs. The new parts probably won't eliminate the driver stage for a 3 device ouptut stage. You would want the current gain to run high power. Granted, you don't have to stuff those boards with 3 devices, could use just one or two. Then if FETs you could drive them pretty good without a driver stage for power ranges in the 100W - 150W area.

-SL

When?! Routing of such board will be much easier than stereo version ;)

Re: LM4702+MOSFET / Bipolar Transistor

monkey29 said:
LM4702 AMP Module...

LM4702+2SJ201/2SK1530 (MOSFET )

LM4702+2SA1943/2SC5200 (Bipolar Transistor)

At one time I had mounted the LM4702 on the same heatsink as the output transistors -- and the distortion was an order of magnitude higher than when the LM4702 was heatsinked on its own.

It does not like to get hot -- Doug Self has a few paragraphs in his book discussing thermal distortion --

Dxvideo said:

Do you think it works fine?

PS: On output you see 10E resistors. However theyre coils not resistors.

You might want to make the biasing resistor variable so that you can adjust the idle current. I would think that the source and sink pins want some measure of a.c. coupling -- usually there is capacitor across the VBE multiplier -- i have used 100nF -- note also that the nat semi designs usually show higher gain than would be derived from your schematic.

Try it and let us know.

Jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.