LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

slackman said:
did anyone calculated the resistors for voltage regulation (R3...R6) on the chip?
In my calculations, they only have to be 1/4W , max. 1/2 W. So why are these so great ones? For R3, R4 i come up to 0,01W, so 1/4 W would be large enough. R5 and R6 need 0,27W so here 1/2 W would be fine...

I ask this because in smaller dimensions it's easier to get the fitting Resistors.

I design my PSUs to last for a lifetime.:D :D :D

Nuuk said:
So did Carlos - why pick on me? :D

:D :D :D
Yeah, I forgot... 1N4002 is what I use.
Normal diodes there, no gold-plated variety.:cool:

carlosfm said:

Come again?
When you have a Cadj. cap of more than 10uf it is recommended to use that diode (from Adj. to output).
I use a 47uf cap, so...

The other diode is not mandatory but doesn't do any harm either.

Better go read the datasheet, Per...
Yes..... and if you have a controlled environment you don't have to use these diodes but as you said, no harm in having them either.

The mysterious diodes revealed

:cool:

Attachments

• cfm lm338 regulated snubberized psu.png
    cfm lm338 regulated snubberized psu.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,909
Milan, losses in rectifier are several watts. By transformer of this size is it up to ten watts. Practical efficiency of similar amp is around 60-65 %. For 120 W you don't need toroid transformer 300 W. BTW, by " musical " loading you can without problem overload similar transformer twice times, which is often used at amps for musicians.

Upupa Epops said:
Which particular application ? Here we are talking about transformer for SS amp in class AB used for home reproduction, not about transformer for FM transmitter ;) .

Any decent amplifier should have a transformer whose power is at least double the nominal output power. Higher transformer powers pose no real dangers (on the contrary). Diyers may experiment with different transformer power/output power ratios but should keep in mind that if they are going to drive their amps in difficult environments at nominal powers (e.g. active subwoofers), the ratio should be at least 2:1 to prevent transformer overload. Many commercial amplifiers do not abide by that ratio but, then again, this is a DIY endevour. ;)

Modern FM transmitters have SS PP AB/B blocks and do not differ all that much from a diy amplifier. At least in terms of efficiency.

Milan