Live Lab Hangout #1.1 Posted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Michael, I have discover ripple can be minimized if scope trigger is OK and curves are maximized in scope. Now curves are more nice.

Attachments

• 20150515_200531_resized.jpg
    20150515_200531_resized.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 295
  • 20150515_200310_resized.jpg
    20150515_200310_resized.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 281
And if you use scope controls to maximize signals into XY windows and use hold and capture (Single button on my scope), then it is possible obtain this curves...
Thank you Michael for this incredible design.

Attachments

• xywindow.jpg
    xywindow.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 267
  • tracer.jpg
    tracer.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 262
Before any attempt to tune for the sweet spot, some THD measurement attached, when power was at 1W and 8W respectively.

THD was 1.0% at 1W and 2.3% at 8W, probably not great but not too bad as a start. Unfortunately the QA400 doesn't like my 6 year old notebook and keep crashing, so I'm not able to start my sweet spot search mission yet.

Attachments

• THD_8W.png
    THD_8W.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 69
  • THD_1W.png
    THD_1W.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 205
Soundhappy your heatsink is very big, mine too, 50cm x 30cm x 8cm. But mine for 200wat of heat it is a bit small. I can not touch more of 3 seconds...
Woow that very high bias and your heat sinks are giants !!!
My biger heat sinks i find in town have weight ~ 33 kg | 70 lb
two pieces together good start & useful
to experimenting no compromise amps.
What about 30 or 50 watts rms single-ended champions sit's amplifiers ?
Kind regards

Attachments

• C17743BC-CBA2-48E7-BFEA-487822EAEAA6.JPG
    C17743BC-CBA2-48E7-BFEA-487822EAEAA6.JPG
    973.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 4589FE17-EAF7-4573-968A-8ECE5804B486.jpg
    4589FE17-EAF7-4573-968A-8ECE5804B486.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 128
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Before any attempt to tune for the sweet spot, some THD measurement attached, when power was at 1W and 8W respectively.

THD was 1.0% at 1W and 2.3% at 8W, probably not great but not too bad as a start. Unfortunately the QA400 doesn't like my 6 year old notebook and keep crashing, so I'm not able to start my sweet spot search mission yet.

The 1W curve shows the k2/k3 relation mostly preferred. K2 about 12-14dB higher than k3. Of course you will get THD down to around 0.5% or even lower by reducing k2.
But the "sweet" spot is a matter of taste. K3 or k2 dominance is both possible and have its own advantages concerning the sound.
But I suppose you know all this.....:)

Christoph you are building a 1000watt SE?
And also, @TIM,: The QA400 work well.
Hav'a nice Sunday Gentlemen. And Please Mr Pass, pity, give us your goodies with the part 2, The summer is coming now and I not afford the CSX1 yet because you promise soon the part two.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
But I suppose you know all this.....:)

Hi generg,

Actually I didn't, but I do now, so thanks for the sharing. :)

@Soundhappy, it seems you have finally collected some working 182ES, and we look forward to your monster single-ended amplifier (mine will be kept at 10W max, the Asian summer are too hot for anything more)

@dady, thanks and I managed to solve the QA400 crashing issue, so having some sweet spot finding fun now, and I realized why Michael called this a black art, it's not as simple as I had thought ...

Yesterday my friend Juan Antonio, jama, was hardly sharing with me the curves that he is making with the Michael's tool-tracer, He discovered that the industrial pieces have extremely different curves making almost impossible to get a good pair of them between the quantity we are collecting together and making a common pool with more pieces with the object to match some of them.

And the most important that he found was the similarities that have the Sony (Acroman parts) taking then randomly, showed incredible parallelism between them.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Esteban,

I was afraid to hear this..... Today my Chinese friend is coming and brings me four 2SK182ES bought at taobao.

All is possible...fakes or four very different parts.

Concerning the SK180 your friend seems to be a lucky guy, my parts I got from Acronman were very different.

When I built Luminaria I took the parts showing the most most parallel behaviour and the one with the higher transconductance got a small source resistor.
So the gain got fairly equal.

:)

Yes generg I had check 22 THF51 and none equal. Only some slightly similar. Because of that I am modifying tracer tool to check them into operation point (25V Vds and 4 A, 12Wrms and 65V of PS) and so I hope to select good pairs. I have checked four 2Sk180C too and they are very similar (only one it is a little different others).

..... Today my Chinese friend is coming and brings me four 2SK182ES bought at taobao.

I have gone through 15 2SK182ES from Taobao, I think they're all authentic, but the failure rate was 40% (6 out of 15 were bad).

I also notice that the refurbished ones (rust removed and electroplated to look nice and shiny) are more prone to failure, probably the refurbishing process could damage the SITs.

Sweet spot?

THD 0.25% @1W is the lowest I could make, but it has 2 drawbacks:

• The THD@1W is the lowest when Id=1.3A, which limits the usable power at 8R to be around 5W;
  • Third harmonic dominant to second harmonic @1W;
On the other hand, if I accept THD 1% @1W, then I can have 10W usable power and the nice harmonic characteristics mentioned by generg.

:confused: ... I think final decision will be determined by the ears, but not the measurement equipment.

Attachments

• THD_1W sweet spot.png
    THD_1W sweet spot.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 268
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.