Listening Test Part II. Can you tell which......

Which file is the original and which do you prefer?

• Nail is the original file

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Screw is the original file

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I prefer nail by listening

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I prefer screw by listening

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In case you mean added H2, added distortion in sound reproduction is important, then it is a nonsense.

On that thread I mentioned that as long as our system is good enough we should never need some kind of masking. In this case, the recording itself is as you said 10% distortion!? Also the average users' DAC is not as good as yours. I can feel a sway of preference with better headphone.

^ One of the reasons I'm keeping schtum! I could hear the anomalies at 58 seconds when johnego couldn't ;)

Or is it possible that i could hear what you hear except that what you hear as anomaly is just music for me? But if it sounds like something falling down to the floor, i couldn't hear it. There were i think three notes of horn (sorry i don't know music), where (between which notes) is the location of this noise you're talking about?

Or is it possible that i could hear what you hear except that what you hear as anomaly is just music for me? But if it sounds like something falling down to the floor, i couldn't hear it. There were i think three notes of horn (sorry i don't know music), where (between which notes) is the location of this noise you're talking about?
On the left channel there is a low frequency thump at 57.5s followed by a quieter one followed by an almost inaudible "pip" sound all within about a second. On the right channel I can only hear the first thump. Definitely not musical in any shape, size or form :D

In case you mean added H2, added distortion in sound reproduction is important, then it is a nonsense.

The added H2 distortion is usually tolerated or even preferred on a "simple" (spectral) music like bar jazz, blues, acoustic guitar. When it comes to "complex" music, like classical big philharmonic orchestra, undistorted is usually preferred, without emphasized H2. So, I cannot agree with NP, that a H2 addition sounds "musical". I simply do not think so. It just sounds "different". And, it may also depend on real experience of the listener with a live acoustical music, like a big orchestra in a concert hall. Amplified electrical instruments do not help much, no one knows how they should sound, it is a matter of taste. In classical music, it is rather a matter of experience with live music. That is why we have different genres in the tests her. It may become interesting.

ok i'll accept ambiguity, if we all hear differently then there's no point in designing anything to a standard....nobody will be able to tell the difference and if they do we can always say "it's cause everyone hears differently"....no wonder i like scotch....

Aren't we have different favorite amplifiers? Mine is following my own standards beside the common basic ones. I like tea. Earl Grey.

And, it may also depend on real experience of the listener with a live acoustical music, like a big orchestra in a concert hall. Amplified electrical instruments do not help much, no one knows how they should sound, it is a matter of taste.

I agree that it is hard to have an enjoyable orchestra music in our sound system. I have only experienced it twice. Never with bookshelf or headphones.

I don't think that was his statement. Here's a quote related to the subject "My own view is that this is entertainment - not Dialysis - and the customer should use whatever makes him happy. After all, he is the guy who pays for it." :)

B1 with Korg Triode

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/316405-audibility-3rd-harmonic.html#post5283806

Interestingly, there seems to be a consistent subjective comment about
3rd, which is that it seems to make sound a little more dynamic, the
silences a little more black. 2nd harmonic is praised for warmth and/or
sweetness, but I have found it to also have two qualities about apparent
depth depending on the phase of the distortion, and I have commented on
this elsewhere (BAF 2017 on youtube for example).

I think at least he is not against. It is also obvious why ;).

and i like scotch....preference is one thing but i think most want to resolve the "techincal bits" that influence preference, no?

if we can live with distortion and some express a preference for it should we not try to define the limits or at least gain a better understanding of it's correlation?

to me it would mean some of the voodoo about audio would be taken out of the equation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.