Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Since the XL has the same tweeters and the MaxSPL limit is due to the tweeters, I don't think that it will have more MaxSPL.
It will not use the same tweeters. The tweeters in CBT36 have a sensitivity of 75 dB. The ones in the XL version have a sensitivity of 91 dB.

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 261
Tom,

Having read your contribution, it seems that you have a good experience what specific recording techniques can produce. This is why I feel that earphones will have greater potential in achieving the realism we desire. My own experience in recording with the mic located just about where earbuds have their diaphragm located allows capture of reflections from the outer ear, I have not yet tested how much ear shape will effect this experience during playback though.

I think the problem with omni's bad rep comes with the way they are used. My limited experience makes me think you want to place them far, veeeeery far from boundaries, they can then sound gorgeous, it implies huge rooms for a big system like MBL.
If not, yes, huge sound from the reflexions, some like it and some don't.
We are talking about homes and smaller rooms.
A speaker that disperses everywhere in the horizontal will not by any means yield anything close to accuracy and a good image in an environment like that. High gain reflections have a detrimental effect on clarity, localization, tonality, etc.
You would have to treat almost all surfaces in ear height in order to get a precise image.

Have you noticed when the MBL get good rapports from shows? It's when they are set up in large audiotoriums or halls with great distances to surfaces.

But MBL are after all better then Boose. The polar of Boose speakers is laughable. MBL measures pretty flat at one height.
The prices however for MBL is ludicrous. It's plain funny to watch their power amps that look like coffins.

Attachments

• MBL 101 with United Tape.jpg
    MBL 101 with United Tape.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 265
Omholt,
You have just pointed at the dichotomy we have hear with the polar opposites of Omni verses directive speakers. There have always been those who have liked the disperse sound field of the 901 speakers, compared to the sound of not even a horn loaded system, but a direct radiator on a flat baffle. Two systems with very different goals. I would rather have the room itself create the reflections and interactions much later in time than a deliberate diffuse approach of an omni and then a secondary time smear when integrated into the room. There is not a clean initial impulse response with the omni, the time and phase response of the recorded image created by the microphone is lost, it makes me think of the sound from outside a room coming through a doorway rather than being in the room with the instruments. The broad dispersion makes any possibility of localization of a specific image in the sound field impractical at best, and much worse than that in reality.

We are talking about homes and smaller rooms.
A speaker that disperses everywhere in the horizontal will not by any means yield anything close to accuracy and a good image in an environment like that. High gain reflections have a detrimental effect on clarity, localization, tonality, etc.

I agree, that was exactly my point. But, you can get very good sound from a small near field omni speaker far from boudaries in a typical living room. What you loose on SPL you gain in imaging. A near perfect pulsating sphere is great!

Last edited:
Omholt,
There is not a clean initial impulse response with the omni, the time and phase response of the recorded image created by the microphone is lost, it makes me think of the sound from outside a room coming through a doorway rather than being in the room with the instruments. The broad dispersion makes any possibility of localization of a specific image in the sound field impractical at best, and much worse than that in reality.

not if you use the setup I described, you can easily get 10ms gap in a normal room.

I agree, that was exactly my point. But, you can get very good sound from a small near field omni speaker far from boudaries in a typical living room. What you loose on SPL you gain in imaging. A near perfect pulsating sphere is great!
I disagree if good sound here equals accuracy.

Don't forgot that late arrival specular energy are also detrimental. It's not just early reflections. Even high gain arriving reflections at late as 40 ms are audible.
We can't only focus on what's happening for the first 10-15 ms.

Personally I don't wan't anything above -20/-30 dB apart from what is coming from diffusers behind me. A Haas kicker from diffusers is fine though and has some interesting psycoacoustic effects.

I disagree if good sound here equals accuracy.

Don't forgot that late arrival specular energy are also detrimental. It's not just early reflections. Even high gain arriving reflections at late as 40 ms are audible.
We can't only focus on what's happening for the first 10-15 ms.

Personally I don't wan't anything above -20/-30 dB apart from what is coming from diffusers behind me. A Haas kicker from diffusers is fine though and has some interesting psycoacoustic effects.

and I have to disagree with you.. once you get past about 10ms/-15db things improve in my opinion, but you seem to have a small room so I can understand where you comments come from, I would not put a omni there, for sure..
the setup I described is perfectly capable of accurate monitoring and listening "through the room" if size allows. It is just SPL limited.

What is the level of a reflexion at 40ms delay in a real room may I ask? :rolleyes:

and I have to disagree with you.. once you get past about 10ms/-15db things improve in my opinion, but you seem to have a small room so I can understand where you comments come from, I would not put a omni there, for sure..
the setup I described is perfectly capable of accurate monitoring and listening "through the room" if size allows. It is just SPL limited.
That's not what we know from studies. Not as long as we're talking about an accuarate presentation. You have to leave out some of Toole researches for that too. Much of what he has conducted was related to preferences.
It's a bit ironic that he spent so much time on proving the failing on the LEDE concept. His tests bear out what was already well known. That strong lateral reflections can sound better to some test subject listeners. But it's not an accurate presentation, and same with later arriving reflections from other directions. Personally and subjectively I think it will also greatly depend on not only the music material, which Tools agrees to, but also how the room is treated and the disperson pattern of the speakers.
What is the level of a reflexion at 40ms delay in a real room may I ask? :rolleyes:
Obviously not very high, but the point is that if it sticks out enough compared to it's surroundings, it becomes audible even at low levels. If it happens will greatly depend on the geometry of the room, furniture, etc.

sure, but you have to make these number talk for yourself, what you like and what suits your music best. In my experience, dry recording work very well with dry rooms, the more reverb in the recording, the more you can have in the room too. Doesn't meen we use caves you know, just maybe not as extreme a treatment as an RFZ, that's all. :cool:

Most people prefer more spaciousness/realism over accuracy.
Do they? It's an interesting question.
A few points to consider.
1. Harman Int. studies were not particular conclusive in this. It varied with music. The only concluded that "it seemed to be a preference for lateral contribution". Look at what Toole writes himself further down.

2. There's a difference here between trained and untrained listeners. Untrained listeners seems to weight spaciousness higher then trained. Are they maybe more easily impressed at first and would possibly change their mind if they listened longer?

3. How much does the room contribute here? Could a highly diffused soundfield from the rear change things? What about the the width of the room?

I believe there are too many variables here to be conclusive. It's intestering to note that most that experiement with acoustic treatment, end up with absorping the sidewall reflections. Of course, speakers and size of room may also be contrubuting factor to that. Most have speakers for instance with a pretty poor power response.

"Hi Bert.

People who say I dismiss room reflections as unimportant - and there are a few, it seems - simply have not read or understood my book. It is patently obvious that room treatment is necessary, if only to establish conditions suitable for comfortable conversation. This requires reverberation times under 0.5 second. This alone, also pretty much ensures that film dialog will be clearly understood.

The most debated issue relates to first lateral reflections. Some of those arguing vociferously in favor of eliminating them seem to have a conflict of interest, being providers of acoustical materials. Others have more reasoned arguments. I say up front that there can be no universally satisfactory answer because there is no universal scheme for recording stereo or multichannel signals. Only through controlled listening tests can we get useful insights, and these are in short supply. In the meantime opinions reign supreme, and there are many of them.

In the book I show results of several double-blind evaluations, some done by me, some done by others, showing that listeners tend not to be disturbed by lateral reflections, and many even prefer them. I also point out that the professional side of the industry almost universally feels the need to eliminate them. I suggest, respectfully, that humans have a remarkable ability to learn, to adapt, and that recording engineers spending their days adding, adjusting, and removing - at will - delayed sounds from mixes undoubtedly are more highly sensitized to these sounds than are lay listeners. This probably applies to any audio professional, acoustical consultant or enthusiast who focuses enough attention on this task. We learn to hear things and, once heard, they tend not to go away. I well remember that during the resonance detection experiments, we all became extremely skilled at hearing and identifying resonances. During the tests, and for some time afterward, we were hearing little resonances in everyday life that normally would have been totally unnoticed. From such things paranoia is born, and if we had taken this to an extreme, we would have damped our wine glasses.

For stereo listening I have found that it very much depends on the program. Music with lots of decorrelated sounds, classical for example, is sometimes enhanced by reflections, although coincident-mic recordings may benefit from a lack of reflections - letting the direct sounds be more dominant (the Blumlien stereo effects work best in an almost anechoic situation). Pan-potted recordings (the majority of pop) end up delivering essentially monophonic sounds from left and right loudspeakers, and these may well benefit from a bit of spatial enhancement. Otherwise we are left with what really annoys me about stereo: a relatively spatial set of phantom images created by both loudspeakers, and two "anchor" images created by the left and right loudspeakers playing solo. In some recordings we hear a whole string section emerging from a single loudspeaker. Not realistic, and not even pleasant. In the past, I have recommended that serious stereo listeners hang absorbent drapes along each side wall, pulling them out and pushing them back to suit what they are listening to. Our listening room at the National Research Council in Canada had this feature.

In the book, I put more emphasis on multichannel audio, where much of the important sound is delivered by the center loudspeaker, farthest from the side walls. In these situations I conclude that treatment of the side wall reflections is an option. There may be situations in which their effects are audible, but when all 5 or 7 channels are operating, it is improbable that natural room reflections have much of an effect. Other things being equal, the effects of the room are most audible when only a single loudspeaker is operating, and it becomes less so as other loudspeakers (channels) contribute additional uncorrelated sounds.

Of course the degree to which reflections are activated depends on the directional properties of loudspeakers, and the extent to which the loudspeakers are well behaved in their far off-axis responses (side wall reflections can be 50 degrees and more off axis). It has become clear over the years that, with hard side walls, the more uniform the off axis frequency response, the higher the rating of the loudspeaker. So, one has to wonder whether at least some of the dissatisfaction with reflective side walls has to do the misbehaving loudspeakers. Sadly, most manufacturers don't provide us with sufficient data to judge. And that is another, and I would argue much more worthy topic, to argue about.

Best wishes,

Floyd"