• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Linear regulator PCB (LM317, LT1085, LM338, LT1083)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bridged lm4780

Don't forget about the dropout/clipping voltage that each half of the bridged LM4780 is gonna eat. I'd say +/- 28 volts would be more on track for your 4 Ω load; more like +/- 35 volts for an 8 Ω load.

i would say that if you have 4-6 ohms speakers you should not feed your bridged lm4780 with more than + - 20volts.
if your speakers are 8 ohms or more , 26-28volts would be great, but NOT over 30volts . Never!

if you bridged two lm3886 and you use 4-6 ohms speakers , each lm3886 will see the speaker impedance as half as your total impedance , in this case 2-3 ohms.
You cannot have more than +-22volts , check Texas instruments web page.
if you use 8ohms or more , same rule, each lm 3886 will see 4 or more ohms, for 4 ohms lm 3886 will be happy with less than +-28 volts.
lm 3886 is half of the lm4780, so there should be the same rules , even more drastic.
if you want to apply more than +-28volts you should have either very good active cooling , either more than 8ohms impedance speakers....
Again this is when you want to have 2 lm3886 bridged , or the two halves of the lm4780 bridged.

Last edited:
" using a bridged configuration, Vcc would have to be equal to ±20V to keep the IC's power
dissipation within 40W/IC when driving a 4Ω load! This equates to about 110W of output power in bridgedmode
driving a 4Ω load. When driving an 8Ω load, and using the same bridged pdmax equation and a
maximum of 40W/IC of power dissipation, the supply voltages would have to be ±28V. This equates to
about 120W of output power."
ti AN-1192 Overture™ Series High Power Solutions
page 6

Bridged lm4780

" using a bridged configuration, Vcc would have to be equal to ±20V to keep the IC's power
dissipation within 40W/IC when driving a 4Ω load! This equates to about 110W of output power in bridgedmode
driving a 4Ω load. When driving an 8Ω load, and using the same bridged pdmax equation and a
maximum of 40W/IC of power dissipation, the supply voltages would have to be ±28V. This equates to
about 120W of output power."
ti AN-1192 Overture™ Series High Power Solutions
page 6

Thanks gabe75 for explaining the voltage restrictions to dotneck335. I could not say it better.

Thanks Aleš for this great PSU PCB.
I have used for DAC and with minor mod, it can worked with fixed voltage regulator like LT1085-5.
Currently, I plan to use it for Pass ACA Class-A amp, which requires 19V/4.74A. For this implementation, is there any parts need to be upgraded for higher power ratings? Any comments is appreciated.

I meant no spamming or advertising.

I just wanted to build some LPSUs for my Raspberry Pi, Network switch, Router etc for music streaming purpose. My DAC has a teradak LPSU already so I will be needing 3 more regulator boards as of now.

After a bit search, I found these on eBay and ordered some.

LT1083CP Voltage Regulator 2mm PCB gold plated LM317 board Audio amp dac Hifi | eBay

I am planning to mount LT1083CP on these boards. Could you please let me know whether this will serve the purpose or not?

If I need to use +5v dc regulated output, should I use a 0-5V ac transformer or should I go for a 0-6v ac transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.