Lightning Audio Storm S1.1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp suffered shorted outputs. VERY shorted outputs, they're in pieces. I have two questions about this amp.

1 - This is the second amp my friend was told was "unrepairable" that came back with parts missing. Does anyone have a power plug for this amp or know if they are even sold? The plug has ground, power and remote on it.

2 - With outputs removed, the amp powers on and I see drive signal going to both banks of outputs. One bank has nice sharp + and - swings and the other bank is VERY nasty (ripply). Each bank is driven by an MIC4420CT, is that likely the only cause of the nasty drive signal?

Definitely Rockford judging by the MEHSA strips.

Sorry about photo quality but all I have is a camera phone.

Also, I know that it is missing a large polyester film capacitor near the output inductor, that was missing after he took it to the repair shop.

Attachments

• Lightning.jpg
    Lightning.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yep, you are correct. One was a loop around that went nowhere. I didn't even look to see. :eek:

I thought the inductor was connected to blue and black but it's only connected to blue, the other to the outputs. We all know what happens when we assume.

So with the outputs out of circuit I am basically grounding the would be output drains.

Is it normal for the output section to get noticeably warmer than the power supply side in an amp like this? They don't get HOT but definitely warmer than the other side.

One of the noise filtering capacitors near the inductor is out of circuit. I figure all that would cause is noise but not sure if it would make the outputs warm up faster. It does produce audio, by the way.

The best thing to do it to replace the cap to see if anything changes. It's normal for the outputs to operate at a slightly higher temps than the power supply FETs (in some amps) but, in general, they should not get hot quickly. If they get hot quickly after replacing the capacitor, then you can do further troubleshooting.

I'm assuming that the missing cap is in the output filter for the class D section of the amp.

I haven't messed with this amp in a while mainly because I don't have power plugs for it but in either case, you were correct. After installing 2 new capacitors in the D class filter the outputs stay cool.

One question though, I ordered 4.7uF 250v caps and they are somewhat smaller than the originals. Should I be worried about their power handling capabilities even though they are both marked 250v?

Also, jol50, I have read in some RF forums about those just falling off the board, I will apply some silicone fixative to these so it doesn't happen again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.