'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
edjosh23 said:
Shin,

They look beautiful!
Are you painting them the same colors as in your renderings?

Josh

Ta Josh,

The paint will be the same as the rendering which in turn was taken from the last project I did:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The silver and black works so well together that I didn't bother considering other colours.

PS. I've had my fair share I've colour tryout spree's and this is the one that works best - not over the top but still interesting and nice looking.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
hope you get them done for the DIY show.

I was thinking about that and what I'll probably do is finish this one speaker and leave the other in MDF. Otherwise if I attempt to finish both I might be coming to the meet with speakers that are all show and no go! This way I'll have a month maybe more to tweak the sound and still turn up with one of the speakers looking as it should.

So no worries about whether they'll be finished or not. Things have moved on more quickly than I expected - we still have 4 months to go giving us all plenty of time to finish and make ready whatever we're bringing.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ray Collins said:
Will you consume all of that for one pair of speakers?!

Ray

Yes, pretty much. You use a ton of primer on MDF so 10ltrs(15ltrs after thinning) will be about right on a pair of speakers this size.

There's 15ltrs of laquer which again you use a hell of a lot of if you want to get the sort of shine and image depth in the reflection that was shown in the image near the beginning of the last page.

The base coat I'll probably use hardly any of that, maybe 3ltrs of the black and less than a litre of the silver because you only need a couple of coats just to ensure even and good coverage.

Then around 10ltrs of gun cleaner(suprising how much thinner you use cleaning out the gun after a spraying session) and the rest is finishing products such as abrasives, rubbing compound, polish, acrylic wax, UV treatment and microfibre cloths.

Pretty much all that is essential to give the finish the best chance of looking its best.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ray Collins said:
Shin,
I assume that the lacquer coats are clear to give the cabinets depth?

That's right, laquer and clearcoat are the same thing. Its job is mainly to protect the finish but many are suitable for sanding and polishing out for a gloss finish.

Will you shoot the cabinets in a paint booth? If so how is it rigged?

No, nothing fancy like that. I just pick a hot day, take a look on the BBC weather website for humidity levels and then spray outside. The back garden is sheltered on all sides so not much problem with the wind and dust.

When or if convenient would you recap the entire finishing process in a step-by-step log?

Ray

Finally! I've waited over 8 months to say this:

Here's one I did earlier: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83141&highlight=high+gloss

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.