'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
FullThrottleRic said:
Compared to those your creation looks reasonably compact :)

That was the aim relatively speaking and although quite large I think they're just on the borderline of acceptability but I certainly wouldn't want anything larger.

Whats the last speaker?

The Rockport Arrakis. I think this is the best looking speaker on the planet. Beautiful lines and overall shape. I took a couple of styling cues from them with these but nothing as outright gorgeous as that, I wish I knew more about building cabinets with fibreglass and resin because that's the only way to sensibly tackle something like that.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
What are the middle speakers? More my style.

Evolution Acoustics MM3.

http://evolutionacoustics.com/lineup.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm not keen on the looks but do like the way they used vertical lamination of Birch with each piece a different shape to form an irregular interior surface. That's for each each enclosure too. I think the walls are 3" thick in some places and each speaker weighs about 700lbs.

I believe these use the newish Accuton C90-T6 mid which I almost used for this project.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
More beauty from Rockport:

IMG_7310.jpg

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Enough with the nasty commercial rubbish anyway and back to some real speakers :D :rolleyes:

I'm wanting to get the baffles finished and decided to tackle the driver key hole style detail what is arguable the most awkward part of the speaker. Awkward because I've never attempted anything this intricate before.

I made sure I done all the home work I could here and this is the template that I had to go on:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After transferring all that on the 9mm MDF it was then the simple :rolleyes: matter of just setting up the fences then grabbing the router and off we go:

Then switch to my trusty and often used homemade circle jig. It looks like someone took a gatling gun to it there's that many holes in the thing but I'm reluctant to make another because chances are there is an hole somewhere in it that suits a driver between 6 and 10".

All that homework paid off because it meets up exactly with where I intended it to. Gotta love it when a plan comes off.

This is what we end up with afterwards:

And this is after using the jigsaw to trim the parts the router couldn't reach(little bits at the top to square the corners up):

Me playing around with the camera whilst having a well earned fag:

And the acid test:

Well pleased with the outcome, infact so pleased that I went round to the neighbours and showed the work off immediately after realise it was a job well done. Must have been a bit of a strange experience for the poor chap but he knew good work when he saw it :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by m0tion Am I seeing this correctly? Did you route INTO your work table? :D

Yeah that and gouge, cut, chop, dent and spray, all done precisely of course. :D Don't judge me though, I've seen Norm Abram's and his looks worse than mine :clown:

BTW, outstanding work. You make it seem easy and you're also making me more ambitious about what I could accomplish with my own woodworking skill.

That's good to hear. I think more people need to take a chance and try something they haven't done before, its the only way you get better really. If it goes wrong so what, next time you know to avoid that mistake and eventually it *does* work.

Make sure you post pics and share with the rest of us whatever it is you do.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
auplater said:
IF you haven't trashed your workmate, you've not built enough speakers... :D

Yep, its an indicator to whether you've arrived, either that or we've got a blatent disregard for our tools. :)

I just see it as being easy enough to get some 1" Ply and make fresh tops using the old as templates. The average workmate tends to get taken for granted so its not surprising they get battered and beatup.

clean-up, aka "CRITICAL MESS"

the funny thing is...

Whenever I "clean up" the place, I then can't find stuff as easily as before. I attribute it to "lending my tools" to my counterpart {nhoj} in the alternative universe...:devilr:

If I really need the tool/wood/gizmo , and it's not too expensive... I go buy another one, and he then returns whatever it was shortly after I don't need it anymore...so I then have 2 of them.. it's usually in plain site and I find it in the last place I look for it...:smash:

John

ShinOBIWAN said:

Well if you don't know that then you haven't been paying attention and therefor not worthy enough to know. :D

I paid attention to the pictures! Bummer, am I really the only person who doesn't know?

I guess it is to make it look like the Rockport, but what it actually does, I'm not sure!

Are you going to fill the space with foam or something to reduce baffle diffraction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.