'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wait for the RAAL. I have heard the 6600 and it did not impress me too much. Nice yes, but not amazing.

Having said that, I would actually really rate the Seas 22TAFG. If you are crossing 4KHz or above it is even better than the 6600 I'd say, or at least as good. Better CSD except for the ultra-sonic peak (I don't care I can't hear above 20KHz) and harmonic distortion is perhaps even lower. 2nd HD is a tad higher but 3rd is a fair bit lower. It also has wider dispersion which I like. Go below 3KHz or 4KHz and you run into trouble though.

m0tion said:
27TDFC no doubt measures better than the 22TAFG. And not much worse than the 6600 at that!

Not really. Not for stuff above 4KHz. Harmonic distortion is better on the 22, especilly 3rd order which can sound nasty being of odd order, and while the CSD is a little cleaner on the 27 due to the lack of ultra-sonic resonance, there is really nothing in it above 4KHz. In fact both do stupidly well for a dome tweeter in CSD above 4KHz.

The 27 is a better all rounder for a lower xover point but the 22 would be my choice for a high crossover point. The main deciding factor between them for me being much higher 3rd order HD on the 27.

True, 3rd order is no doubt lower starting at around 3.5KHz, so it'll make a mess at around 10.5KHz and higher. But the main attraction of the 27 to me is how much lower the 2nd and 3rd order is from 1KHz to 2.5KHz. This shows up in the 2KHz - 7.5KHz range, which is you will be much more sensitive to. Distortion in the high frequency area is much preferable to distortion in the midrange.

I agree though, for the prices you really couldn't go wrong with either.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Where was Ant crossing though? I forget, but I assume above 3KHz.

Around 1.5Khz will be where I start off. Lots of options here though including a 3.5way. Will have to see.

Still, no measurements showing the Seas being almost the equal to the 6600 will make him use it I suspect :dead:

As daft as it sounds I just prefer something different to what the majority would use. There's got to be 100's of projects with those Seas tweeters in them, so where's the fun in that? I like to try drivers that maybe aren't so popular nor offer the same value for money but make me feel good about the design as a whole anyway because its different. If I went with the Seas I might as well build one of Zaphs or Tonys designs because there's already so much info out there that it takes half the discovery and enjoyment away.

So yes you wouldn't see me considering the Seas for something like this. Might sound like I've got my head up my backside but its all about what makes you feel good right? And if thats spending more to get something different then so be it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Started on the mid/bass baffles. I was planning to cover them in 9mm MDF in similar fashion to what you see the tweeter baffles but it looks like this isn't going to happen as I made a right mess on the angles, obviously I overlooked something.

Its all looks like a little too much of a challenge so will have to come up with something thats second best, I have a good idea of what to do and hopefully it works out OK.

Batteries dead on camera but I'll post some pics once they're done charging later this evening.

I understand what you are saying, but it is still an original design even if the tweeter is a common one. I can tell you now though, the 6600 sounds like any other tweeter that measures really well. So it will sound a lot like the Seas 27.

If you want something different go for the RAAL. If you are going for the 6600 then you may as well go for the Seas IMO since neither sound 'different' to much else on the market.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
I understand what you are saying, but it is still an original design even if the tweeter is a common one. I can tell you now though, the 6600 sounds like any other tweeter that measures really well. So it will sound a lot like the Seas 27.

If you want something different go for the RAAL. If you are going for the 6600 then you may as well go for the Seas IMO since neither sound 'different' to much else on the market.

The 6600 was a moment of weakness through having an eye on getting these done before the DIY meet. After more careful consideration I realised that much of the design was centered around the RAAL and it was also my first choice for a number of reason so what the hell if I have to wait, I think the speaker as a whole will be much better for it.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Pics of mid/bass baffle in-progress work:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do you know what would be nice from you?... Take a few pictures for us how you cut off so nice the internal section of the mdf pieces

Marc

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Idefixes said:

Do you know what would be nice from you?... Take a few pictures for us how you cut off so nice the internal section of the mdf pieces

Marc

Its all done freehand with one of these:

The accuracy on this thing is great, it uses a guide clamps on the blade to keep it perfectly normal to the surface your cutting even through really tight turns and thick work so what you don't get the usual bending blade and accompanying sloping cuts. What you end up with something approaching the accuracy of a router. Its also dead easy to follow a line with the laser guide so you can get really straight cuts done.

Here's a link to the jigsaw:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=119687&MAN=Bosch-Gst-135bce-Jigsaw-240v

I have to admit to being a bit of a fan of the Bosch Blue range and have a nice collection now. I've just ordered the new mini palm router which looks perfect for bevels and detail work:

http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/palm_routers/pr20evsk.html?ref=frooglepr20evsk

So Apart from the jigsaw, I just do the usual ie. measure and mark the work, drill a pilot hole and then simply cut out.

The bosch blue range is the bosch pro range with special motor range. Really nice tools, a liitle expessive but do o quite good job. My heart go rather to FESTOOL stuff

Really extra tool with extrem nice guide system, but prices are:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Marc

Yeah....

Really wonderfull stuff, festool... finally, after 3 (Three!!) years of doubting etc., I got myself the sander I wanted... Festool :D RS400-EQ..

It just rocks.. wonderful quality, but horribly expensive.. alltough: One'd trash 5 Low(er)-Quality sanders in the festool's lifespan, so...

Sand for an hour or so, and yer arm/hand's NOT shaking or numb...

Wanna buy a circular saw from them... another three years of doubting, and making savings.. :bawling:

Cheers, Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.