Lateral CFA 120W - BSA

Thank you Valery. Some years ago I simulated ODNF and have found that is quite sensitive (read not easy) to set it correctly, never tried real amplifier.
What is your experience with ODNF in real amp?
Best wishes,
Damir

Yes, I used it in my Simpelstark amplifier with very good results.
See the schematic of one of my successful ODNF implementations attached.
I left the reference numbers as is, left from my complete schematic - never mind.

Please note:
- it is important to have C18 in place for phase correction at HF. Its value strongly depends on the Opamps type, used in the circuit. OPA2134 and 27pF are showing excellent results.
- In order to set the error detector correctly, you need to run 1KHz sine wave through the amp, connect the oscilloscope to TP2 point and rotate R26 trimmer until you see the lowest amplitude of the error signal at TP2.

Before you apply ODNF, you need to set the overall open loop gain of your amplifier to the value you like (I normally set it to 29db or so).
You can do it in two places:
1) slightly degenerating the IPS;
2) loading the VAS (R21 in my case).

Here are a few links so that you can see the full schematic (earlier version - does not matter), as well as my finished amplifier:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/312866-global-loop-amplification-18.html#post5347597
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-solid-pics-592.html#post5579612

I like ODNF a lot - designed some other implementations of the principle using jFETs and even the vacuum tubes in the error channel - cool stuff.

Let me know if some clarifications are required.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• ODNF circuit vz 1.3.pdf
    557.1 KB · Views: 128
  • ODNF formula.JPG
    ODNF formula.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 384
  • ODNF 1KHz 01.jpg
    ODNF 1KHz 01.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Simpelstark AX2 Datasheet.pdf
    400 KB · Views: 109
Yes, I used it in my Simpelstark amplifier with very good results.
See the schematic of one of my successful ODNF implementations attached.
I left the reference numbers as is, left from my complete schematic - never mind.

Please note:
- it is important to have C18 in place for phase correction at HF. Its value strongly depends on the Opamps type, used in the circuit. OPA2134 and 27pF are showing excellent results.
- In order to set the error detector correctly, you need to run 1KHz sine wave through the amp, connect the oscilloscope to TP2 point and rotate R26 trimmer until you see the lowest amplitude of the error signal at TP2.

Before you apply ODNF, you need to set the overall open loop gain of your amplifier to the value you like (I normally set it to 29db or so).
You can do it in two places:
1) slightly degenerating the IPS;
2) loading the VAS (R21 in my case).

Here are a few links so that you can see the full schematic (earlier version - does not matter), as well as my finished amplifier:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/312866-global-loop-amplification-18.html#post5347597
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-solid-pics-592.html#post5579612

I like ODNF a lot - designed some other implementations of the principle using jFETs and even the vacuum tubes in the error channel - cool stuff.

Let me know if some clarifications are required.

Cheers,
Valery

Thank you Valery, I have to go back to my simulation to see what result I had.
I see that you in business now, the amp looks really nice.
What about output impedance, I forgot what ODNF is doing with it?
BR Damir

Thank you Valery, I have to go back to my simulation to see what result I had.
I see that you in business now, the amp looks really nice.
What about output impedance, I forgot what ODNF is doing with it?
BR Damir

You can consider ODNF as global feedback, implemented in a special way.

It does not change the gain of your original amplifier (it adds 18db to original gain and then suppresses it back to the initial value), however, it decreases the output impedance, noise, and distortion, as the normal feedback would do, but preserving the "character" (harmonics profile, phase coherence) of the original amplifier.

It works especially well with the amplifiers having good open loop characteristics - high enough speed (bandwidth) and linearity - cleaning up the higher order components, resulting in highly natural, "live" sounding.

Damir, I've just realized one thing...

You're in Zagreb. I'm in Ljubljana right now - I come here more and more often, arranging some business and place for living. I need to fly to Moscow today, but next time...

You're just in 1:35 drive from me ;)
Shall we have a glass of wine the other day? I will come to Zagreb no problem.

I'll let you know when I'm next time in Ljubljana :D

Damir, I've just realized one thing...

You're in Zagreb. I'm in Ljubljana right now - I come here more and more often, arranging some business and place for living. I need to fly to Moscow today, but next time...

You're just in 1:35 drive from me ;)
Shall we have a glass of wine the other day? I will come to Zagreb no problem.

I'll let you know when I'm next time in Ljubljana :D

Valery that is excellent idea, let me know and we will a glass of wine and good music.
:D

Nice to hear that, any sound coming out?
Yes it play nicely up to now..... but now i see periodically instability.
You can hear this through speaker and measured strange dc on output. It is like microphone feedback.
I think that is worst after the second pair of latfets installed or nothing to do?
Now come in my mind that testing with ARTA today morning sometimes signal jump

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_172018.jpg
    IMG_20190623_172018.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited: