La petite Onken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

The project naturally evolved in the last year. In the Fall of 2014, I acquired a pair of TAD TD-2001 and used them in two ways with an Arai A-480FL horn I partialy build with very good results (first pic).

While having this set-up, I bought a microphone, a sound card and familiarized myself with the measurements via Fuzzmeasure and REW which is the one I use now. I also play a lot with cross-over exploration for the first time of my life! Pretty happy with the basic knowledge I developped.

Then, in the last months, I was able to move forward for the midrange while buying a pair of Onken OS-500MT drivers and Onken 500Wood horns. I was also lucky enough to find someone in Canada selling a pair of Onken OS-5000T tweeters. By far, it's the best sound I've never had in my house (pics 2-3-4).

Actually, with this Onken set-up, I'm using a Kaneda 228+ amplifier recently designed by Kaneda (pics 5 and 6). It is a 29W/8 Ohms using Kaneda's last transistor the SCTMU001F. This amplifier work with 6 x 7.4 Li-Ion batteries.

For my next speaker projet, I'm considering a classic design using a Great Plains Audio 416-8B. I do like so much my GPA 414-8B in the petite Onken. Adding to that some excellent comments on GPA 416-8B in the "Beyond the Ariel" thread, it motivate me to look "Beyond la petite Onken"... :)

Sébastien

Attachments

• Lieu écoute 1.jpg
    Lieu écoute 1.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Petite Onken Onken.JPG
    Petite Onken Onken.JPG
    868.5 KB · Views: 662
  • Petite Onken Onken 2.JPG
    Petite Onken Onken 2.JPG
    952.5 KB · Views: 676
  • Petite Onken Onken 3.JPG
    Petite Onken Onken 3.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 664
  • 228+ de face.jpg
    228+ de face.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 228+ dedans dessus.JPG
    228+ dedans dessus.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 345
Super Sébastien, que de progrès.... Bravo ça fait plaisir ! J'ai également vu les bons conseils de Francis Ibré pour ton pré. Il est super hein ?! :) ; Ajmars, I'm asking if this is one I readed on an old french forum which was named Delphi Audio ? !

Well done for the Kaneda amp, I went to Osaka in 2010 and hesitated to source one ! (I would like to putt one on a Kef 104/2, my second system)

How much input impedance have you on the 218+ ?

Quelques pistes pour expérimenter: you may try to make a box less than 1 liter (look at Trynergy thread) with a ScanSpeak 10F/ 8 ohms and try it with your bi-radial wood horn if you have a 2" throat.... Yes a classic driver ! I don't dB gain you could have from a Bi-radial à la TH-4001 but it may be enough for your 300B. (for 600/700 + Hz)

Imho, for you now : no hope between an Onken W or a dedicated mid-bass horn to go further... you went really high already with your new compressions (maybe the TD-4001 Worth a try as a Full Range if you have a TH-4001 equivalent ! ). I believe the mid bass horn with classic can go further if your room is ok : 100 Hz + . Below try subs (sealed and servoed with plate amps) you will try to putt at different place in the living room to find the best trade off with the room modes : Lire l'article de Monsieur Earl Gedles (Gedlee).

see you,

Eldam

Last edited:
Bonjour Eldam,

Nice to read from you. Yes, progress is very interesting and rewarding. Also, the preamplifier with 5687 tubes charged by Tribute OPT has generated another important step in my system. No doubt for me why such design are considered by many as the best possible tube preamplifier design.

While in Osaka in 2010, you really miss something! And I don't talked about an amplifier for a second system. No! Kaneda's generation of 209, 228, etc... are just fabulous. I know someone who sold some Nagra stuff, people selling their racing SET amplifier to stay with Kaneda's recent amplifier. A good beginning is the No. 209.

Regarding the 228+, I don't remember the input impedance. It is an IVC and if you don't have a IVC preamplifier, you need to adjust input impedance by adding a 1k8R/2 Watts resistor just after the RCA for the input signal.

Now? Well, you just think right: Onken W, low-mid horn (Onken 200), we can also add Onken 4550 on the list which I just find a beautiful and a "ultimate" enclosure. The fact is, I don't have the place for these. Hence the new project:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/285828-beyond-petite-onken.html

I heard good things about TD-4001, but better ones from Onken's drivers and they are even cheaper.

Finally, I appreciate M. Geddes work. I read some of its publication. Is there a thread here related to what you are talking about?

Bonne journée,

Sébastien

Maybe I will ask to the french guys how to buy one ? Can you PM please about the 209 price on kit or tips, I will be proud to have one genuine Kaneda :).

Papers : look at subwoofer paper ! Between around 120 Hz and 80 Hz in relation to the room most can't localise the bass bellow.

Many rooms beginn to manage the bass below 200 Hz, the sport is to integrate the bass in relation to your room mode and mid-bass integration ! Mid-bass is my dada and ihmo the most difficult register to have "accurate" at home !

Some very interresting thread about Beyma drivers and quest of horn swapping for mid-bass with Vynilvalves and Lewinski01 members (look for their threads). If I have the place at home, teh favorable waf, the favorable wallett I will go for DIY mid-bass horn à la Inlowsound or Volvotreter for 120 Hz to 600/800 Hz (then your favorite horn/compression with some FIR correction in the digital domain for croosover and phase alignement... Onken W 360 is too difficult and massive, better imho the focusing on mid-bass quality and multi sub placement with digital embeded amp for the low end : here you need to move air as ears become less difficult below 200 Hz...

Some theoric thoughts only :) .... you already went further than me with DIY...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.