L-Adapter

Hello Salas.
I am building another l-adapter then noticed secondary fuse clip I got from local shop leg didn't fit pcb.If I skip fuse,dose 470uh choke work?

Attachments

• 16876969472074062266903066286862.jpg
    16876969472074062266903066286862.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 130
Hello,
As I had no LM334 current source available, I thought I try something else as CCS for the LED/diode string.
Goal is to have 5V fixed supply.

Result: in a 5R load, the thing is oscillating >100mHz 40mVpp.
Below is circuit as build.
Any ideas to get rid of the oscillation?

Noise wise: any idea whether this would give better results than a LM334?

Attachments

• Oscillating L-adapter.png
    Oscillating L-adapter.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 140
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Try a 100R resistor between D2 anode and + C1 first? Then higher R4? Then other type Q3 Q4? Then something slower than that Sanken main pass transistor?
Due to C1 filtering the Vref which is also unity gain (doesn't amplify its own noise) I don't expect you will see significant noise advantages on the rail with this.
Can bump into instability surprises and exaggerated thermal drifts when modifying the original. That's from experience because I tried few different discrete Vref schemes and various pass duet transistors types before settling to a specific L-Adapter configuration. Its superficially a very simple circuit but it was tricky to make it work just right. Board layout including.

Try a 100R resistor between D2 anode and + C1 first? Then higher R4? Then other type Q3 Q4? Then something slower than that Sanken main pass transistor?
Due to C1 filtering the Vref which is also unity gain (doesn't amplify its own noise) I don't expect you will see significant noise advantages on the rail with this.
Can bump into instability surprises and exaggerated thermal drifts when modifying the original. That's from experience because I tried few different discrete Vref schemes and various pass duet transistors types before settling to a specific L-Adapter configuration. Its superficially a very simple circuit but it was tricky to make it work just right. Board layout including.

Inserting an R (100R) between D2 and C1 ==> no impact on oscillation frequency and amplitude
Increasing R4 (reducing current through diode string) ==> no impact on oscillation frequency and amplitude

I will order some LM334 and follow your proven design!

Update: as I had oscillation (post 1086), I put in a LM334 as per original design.
Result: 9.4mHz 200mVpp oscillation. (I doubt I measured oscillation correctly in post 1086)

What I did to stop it is: putting a 10n film cap between the emitter and collector of the MJE15028 (15030 in spice).
In spice, this has no negative impact to ripple.

Attachments

• L-adapt osc mod.png
    L-adapt osc mod.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 81
  • LM334 osc.png
    LM334 osc.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 78
All components haven been purchased at Mouser or Reichelt. All active parts are from Mouser.
Below is a snip of the PCB used for the circuit in post 1086. Now to try the LM344; 150R, 1k5 and 2x KTA1266 ahve been removed to make place for the LM344.

Attachments

• Salas L-adapter - Ben J PCB.png
    Salas L-adapter - Ben J PCB.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 101