Krell KSA 50 PCB

CLC pwr supply

Hi All-

I was in the attic grabbing "stuff" for the wife and found my box of inductors. I rummaged through them and came across some coils I got when I rebuilt some speakers in Japan for a customer.

I was hoping these would work for the L in my CLC pwr supply. Any thoughts or comments?

They are:

1.8mH air core
APPEAR to be 16ga. wire

If they do work I think it would be pretty ironic to use expensive a#$ Fostex coils in an American "muscle" power amp.. These things prolly cost $50-60 each in Japan at the time...

Edit- I also have the same coils in 1mH if that would work.

Attachments

• coils med.jpg
    coils med.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 890
inductors

rabstg,

Those will work perfectly. I have used both air cored and torobar versions. The air cored type are good for just about any current, the torobar ones I've got saturate at abotu 6 or 7 amps, but still work very well indeed. Main reasons I use the cored ones are physical, they are 1/3 the size and weight.

But be careful what you put near them, the magnetic field they put out can cause voltages to be induced in high impedance gate circuits with spectacular ease, then you will have hum that is very difficult to track down. They can also hum in their own right, magneto striction makes the turns try and move relative to each other, wire ties and varnish are your friends if this is a problem...

Stuart

montreal and toronto

Hi Everyone,

In about a week I'm going to Montreal and then Toronto to visit with friends, if anyone lives in either place or anywhere in between and wants to get together, let me know. If you need 'em, I've still got 1400 emitter resistors, so I can drop 'em off when I am there. In fact if anyone needs any of the folloing let me know via email...

I have thousands of:

0r68 10w panasonic
10uF 35v
33uF 35v
390uF 63v, I've used these in place of the 1000u pair.
0.12uF 250v mylar
12v zener

I'm perfectly willing to give them away, but if you feel like trading things so much the better. I open to just about any exchange.

Stuart

specs, measurements

Mark,

I do like to travel, when the flights are cheap I get going.

WRT saturation: Assuming you have a complete specification from the manufacturer you can of course read it.

Failing that, you can measure the reactance you get for real versus what should happen in theory. When they saturate, they basically transition to being just really big wirewound resistors, and of course they aren't really inductive anymore, because they just saturated...phew, that was a close one, I could feel people getting excited then. So basically if they saturate at 5 amps, they function as inductor and resistor until the current exceeds that, then they are resistors. In either case it's good in the context of a CxC power supply.

Did you have a chance to measure voltages across resistors for me, to my uncertain knowledge you are the only poster that has a full bias amp up and running.

In fact if any of you guys have completed amps, I'd love it if you could measure and let me know all the voltages along the bottom row of resistors (r107, r109, r113, r117, r121, r123, r128) and one of the emitter resistors, along with your rail voltage.

Stuart

Re: Re: CLC pwr supply

jacco vermeulen said:

How big a box are you talking about ?
Same Fostex as the drivers, does Fostex make its own inductors ?

Small box say 12" x 12" x 6". Just had various old coils in there.. Maybe 12-16. Mostly old JBL coils from rebuilds for people.

Yes the same Fostex as the speaker company. I do NOT know if Fostex actually made them but I would think so since importing into Japan(at least while I was there) was difficult and expensive.

pinkmouse said:
rabstg

Those inductors look good, have you worked out the rest of your PSU yet?

I have a pair of 48V CT transformers and two different sets of caps.. I have not decided which set of caps to use yet.

Set 1 is 6 x 12,000 uF 83 volt "snap-in" caps from Apex.jr mounted on perf board.

Set 2 is 4 x 68,000 uF 50 volt "screw-terminal" caps again from Apex.jr.

If I go with set 1, it will be a cap, coil, 2 caps on each rail.
If I go with set 2, it will be a cap, coil then cap on each rail.

I actually have 10 of the 12,000 uF 83 volt caps so I could add more to set 1.. Cheap @ Apex.jr!!

Anyway the two transformers are center tapped Laminated EI cores and I haven't decided if I will put one x-former on each channel or remove the center tap tie and parallel the secondaries and use one for the positive rail and one for the negative rail.

Since I'm building a 3 channel amp the second transformer option looks best at this point.

In all honesty I am actually going to be quite happy to get a solid 25-30 watts class-A. Most of my listening is low level, not dance club. :) Also I will be using them to experiment with line arrays this summer.

power...

rabstg,

My experimentation so far suggests a pair of 68k caps for a single channel of an Aleph is more than adequate, and I think the krell has better PSRR. I only use the CLC option for multiple channels on the same power, it reduces the chance of one channel modulating the supply to the others. If you are going to do 3 channels on the same PSU, I'm using 68k- 2.7mH-68k, per rail. At 6 amps, you will have about 5mv of supply ripple.

If you haven't tried it I'd recommend the psu designer II from Duncan amps. It's a free download, but it is astonishly good at what it does. You can 'only' simulate one rail at a time, but since we have symmetrical rails that's no big deal. One thing it will show you, for instance, is that you can get much lower diode surge currents by using 12k-2.0mh-68k, with very little reduction in overall performance. You' dhave to use multiples of the cap sizes to get the same performance from caps alone.

Stuart

Re: specs, measurements

Stuart Easson said:
In fact if any of you guys have completed amps, I'd love it if you could measure and let me know all the voltages along the bottom row of resistors (r107, r109, r113, r117, r121, r123, r128) and one of the emitter resistors, along with your rail voltage.

Stuart

Here are my calculations, FYR.
R107: Vrail - 0.65V
R109: Vrail - 27V
R113: 2.23V
R117: 2.23V
R121: 1.58V
R123: 0.93V
R128: depends on bias current setting.