Krell KSA 50 PCB

Boards...

Ok, so i am this far through,
My pack arrived today Stuart, thanks they help a lot! The package was a little "worse for wear" (it wasn't much of an envelope when it got here!)....
I'm still waiting on my resistors from welbourne, should have been here already, but international post :)

Here's the boards...
The emitter resistors have been neatly soldered to the other side of the boards to facilitate the fitting of the metal between the drivers... Although not 100% neat, i think it will work very very well :)

Attachments

• board1.jpg
    board1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,036
NUTTTR,
Bless this mess.
Just how many transistors do you have on the floor?
Shall we begin a collection here for Aaron's proper work bench?
I will begin with a modest donation of $5.00 USD.
My little workbench is in a similar mess from too many projects at the same time. But I get to stack stuff under it.
Great progress NUTTTR.

Prosit

acenovelty said:
NUTTTR,
Bless this mess.
Just how many transistors do you have on the floor?
Shall we begin a collection here for Aaron's proper work bench?
I will begin with a modest donation of $5.00 USD.
My little workbench is in a similar mess from too many projects at the same time. But I get to stack stuff under it.
Great progress NUTTER.

Prosit

Personally I like working off a carpet too. I have 2 benches but they are not fun.... they never have enuff space. PLus screws dont fall off the edged on carpets. :D

I don't mind the screws falling off the bench so much as that last 82 ohm 1% resistor that ends up bouncing off my knee into a box of junk under the *@%! bench. Looking for it forever. Guess I'll never have enough space either. Good thing I keep a high WAF for this hobby.
But one rose for every year of her life on Valentine's day is getting kinda expensive. Happens as you get older. And great sound at the end buys you a lot of grace. Certainly mean no disrespect to you either Aaron. BTW, hear Stuart Easson is off to jolly old England soon.
Maybe he'll bring back some rabbit pie.

Prosit

not on the plane yet...

...but I am at the airport...using one of the funky little internet kiosks, only costs 25c a minute, so I figured it was cheaper than getting another book...

pinkmouse, your resistors are on the way, I had to check a box full of stuff, so they are in with the rest.

I use a 6' bench in my garage, I normally manage to keep the last 2' clear so I have somewhere to work, but everything else is arrayed on the floor around where I end up standing. I just got a couple of pieces in to fix, the local stereo store likes my services, but I now have to open the garage door to provide a path to the soldering iron.

I have completely assembled 2 channels of the amp, but didn't have time last night to give it some volts and see what happens, so it's gonna be a week or so before I get back to it. I think I am going to use a line array I just made and drive it directly from the drivers, with all the speakers in series it has an impedance of 120ohms...at least then I can be sure each board is working properly before I destroy a bunch of expensive parts...

Have fun guys

Stuart

Hi Guy's

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to listen to a Krell KSA100 that my friend recently acquired. Although it was hooked up to a set of small monitors (testing purposes) you could hear that this is a great amplifier. With all the information I gathered from our little get together yesterday I think I will also go for the forced cooling on my Krell-Clone. As you can see in the picture, the amp has a working temperature of about 50°Celsius. The 120mm fans that are used you can hardly hear. In this case the dimensions of the heatsinks can be reduced big time (and cost). Still not quite sure which output devices I’m going to use.:xeye:

Cheers

GeWa said:
Hi Guy's

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to listen to a Krell KSA100 that my friend recently acquired. Although it was hooked up to a set of small monitors (testing purposes) you could hear that this is a great amplifier. With all the information I gathered from our little get together yesterday I think I will also go for the forced cooling on my Krell-Clone. As you can see in the picture, the amp has a working temperature of about 50°Celsius. The 120mm fans that are used you can hardly hear. In this case the dimensions of the heatsinks can be reduced big time (and cost). Still not quite sure which output devices I’m going to use.:xeye:

Cheers

I have a feeling the Clone (A Mk.II) will sound better. Just don't skimp on the Power supply and you will love it more than the KSA-100!

:D

Hi K-amps

If I can still get them I will be using 2x 47000µF/100V caps per channel. (see pic) My friend also has a transformer I can have for my project. It has 2x 24-0-24V secondaries and is rated at 1500VA. With this transformer I will have ±35V rails.

Attachments

• ksa100_06.jpg
    ksa100_06.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 956
acenovelty said:
Hi Aaron,
While you've been away folks are talking about you. Yur one popular guy. Stuart is on the plane and sends his regards.

Prosit

Ha! Good to hear :) Stuart will have a great time in the UK i'm sure! I'd love to go travelling... but that comes after i get married it seems (we are planning to go to germany/europe for a year or so in a f ew years....)

Have you started your board building yet? :)

Aaron